Gaining Muscle and Losing Fat (2015)

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Baron, Jun 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Very respectable numbers at what i'd say is no more than 5% or 6% BF??

You are probably close to your genetic limits, maybe eek out another 1/4-1/2 inch here and there. The risk is upping some nutrtional thing like protein, gaining fat but mistaking for muscle

#251     Aug 22, 2015
  2. Also,

Can't really tell from the photo but maybe a liitle more DIRECT NECK work? and lats, to get a bit "wider"? thicker lats gets your "chest" up to 43 or 44 too!

And, could you get your thighs up to 25 1/2?? leg exts, thigh curls, leg presses, NARROW STANCE "Platz" style squats, (wide stance all about the adductors not quads); reduce the weight, stay strict, watch lower back:eek:

ps don't neglect your Adductor Machine!

psps i say 25 1/2 because you got some majors there ..the quads, the hammies, and adductors. get another 1/2 inch on all 3 your ther!!did you expect "the squat" to do it all??????

wish you'd posted a lat spread from back so we could assess your lower back/spinae erectors.:wtf:ops:

Prudent Direct ISOLATION MACHINE work will fill out those "laggers"

Last edited: Aug 22, 2015
    #252     Aug 22, 2015
  3. wjk

wjk

My last workout change in style might be a partial response, Fred. I'm doing this with all my exercises for two cycles, than I'll change again. Here is one example. Starting with high reps on hack squats (machine) where I did 48 reps no weight, 36 reps 50 lbs, 24 reps 100 lbs, 18 reps 150, 15 reps 200, 2 sets at 250 (9 reps, than 12), and 2 sets at 300 (6 reps and 9 reps). Just using high reps early worked as a warm up and then a pre-exhaustion. On any of the exercises, I wont do 2 sets until I can no longer do 15 reps at a weight, or 15 reps is at least difficult. The set of 9 prepares me for the set of 12. If I can't hit 12, I'll still attempt the 6 and 9. When going all out, a 3 and a 6.

When I'm doing low rep, high weight, my normal heaviest weight on the hack squat machine finishes at 500+, so hitting 300 is just over half my top weight. Here is my point, I was so stiff, I could hardly walk the next day. That was the desired result. That and extenders were the only two leg exercises I did that day. Same type of routine on extenders, as mentioned.

I know it's not quite what you are talking about since I started high rep and finished low, but I was already feeling a great burn on the 36 and 24 rep lifts, which might be to your point. It was worth mentioning because I got a great result with far less weight, which our joints thank us for.

I've gone back on regular diet for the time being (6 small a day, higher carbs early). Had some gastro issues (maybe too many BCAAs's...I really like those...on empty stomach?). Staying with the macros, and will go back to fasting diet in a few weeks. I'm stalled at 192lbs.

Anyone have any thoughts on changing diets being effective as a strategy for stimulating fat loss in the same way changing lifting styles and routines is for stimulating muscle growth?

#253     Aug 24, 2015
  4. destriero

destriero

Let's see your pics.

There are few exercises with less utility than leg extensions and "thigh" curls. Leg presses? People still do those? Friends don't let friends use machines.

#254     Aug 24, 2015
  5. destriero

destriero

You are nowhere near maintenance if your DOMS are that severe. Stay off the hack-squat machine. You can't throw 270 on a bar and use a cage? Isolation/machine shit inhibits CNS-activation. Removing the balance component takes away a ton of benefit. CNS stimulation = muscle growth (test, hGH -> IGF production). Squats, DLs, bench, overhead press, bicep curls (only isolation exercise).

You want to improve body comp? Start with 100 thrusters, 3x a week. Start with an oly-bar and 40lbs (85lbs total) and add 10lbs to the bar each month. You will never sweat so much in your life. Also oly snatch with just the bar (until form improves). Do 30, 1-2x per week. You'll feel like a furnace 10hrs later.

Use a temporal therm. and check your temp 3 hours after your regular workout. Do a compound workout with some thrusters or snatch work and check your temp after 3 hours. I typically run one full degree above normal (after the workout).

Last edited: Aug 24, 2015
    #255     Aug 24, 2015
  6. destriero

destriero

Heavy thrusters, snatch, DLs, bench and biceps is all you would ever need to get bigger simultaneously improve body comp. You can leave out squat day entirely due to the thrusters. And yes, I think crossfit is absurd.

#256     Aug 24, 2015
  7. wjk

wjk

I appreciate your thoughts, and agree 100% with your comments regarding CNS stimulation. I perform all of the major compounds at least once every 2 workout cycles, and some such as overhead and bench press every cycle. I give myself more recovery time after DLs. Once every two cycles for those.

The example I was mentioning to Fredrick is just one of many different ways I train. I was stating a single example on one machine of the many ways I train. Over the course of many months at different times and different variables, I do pretty much every type of compound and isolation exercise you may have read about in muscle mag over recent years, both on free weights and machines (with a few exceptions, of courseā€¦age related).

If I read it, I tried it, and if I got results, added it to a constantly changing routine. I also learned many techniques from a Joe Weider book from the old days. I also spend a great deal of effort on various ab work as well, (something I've noticed many in my gym tend to avoid).

I did clean and jerk when I was younger, but don't take the risk now, and I don't do cross training exercises at all. I do 60' cardio pre workout. I vary the cardio, as well.

In all, I do compounds and isolations, sometimes just compounds, sometimes just isolations, and sometimes both in the same workout. I use a wide variety of rep and weights on both free weights and machines. I view machines as a way to go to failure without a spotter, but I absolutely agree, they do little for balance. It takes me 6 days to hit everything, but I will double up if I take 2 or more days between workouts.

I expect soreness when I change routines, as I do on a regular basis. I'll post pics when I reach 185...or maybe 180. I've mentioned before, that I have never used steroids, which will be evident when I post a few pics. :)[/QUOTE]

Last edited: Aug 25, 2015
    #257     Aug 24, 2015
  8. wjk

wjk

I don't think I would refer to it as DOMS. My understanding of DOMS is that it is much worse than normal stiffness. Perhaps I should have worded it differently (I may have exaggerated a little). I workout 4 to 6 days a week, and only experience stiffness when I change routines in a significant way. I actually expect it during the first cycle of a routine change.

I was more stiff than usual, but not longer than usual. I hadn't done that many reps on any quad exercise in a long time...at least several months. Still, you have a good point regarding maintenance. Perhaps I am missing something in my leg routines.

Again, I appreciate your comments.

#258     Aug 25, 2015
  9. destriero

destriero

I'll post a pic when I am done bulking and you'll see what I am referring to w.r.t. mass that can be achieved with simple compound lifts (sans isolation).

#259     Aug 25, 2015
  10. wjk

wjk

Cool, though I don't doubt you. I've been in the gym a long time and am well aware that compound lifting is the key to big size and strength. I believe that isolation helps with overall muscle development, though, and have always used them alongside compounds.

I've reached the age where I can't really bulk much (56). When I eat enough to bulk, I end up like I was when I entered this thread at 207lbs on Jul 6. I only make small gains these days, so mostly interested in getting lean at this point.

How much are you looking to gain, and how fast?

#260     Aug 25, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.