Gadhafi is a puss

Discussion in 'Politics' started by CaptainObvious, Mar 18, 2011.

1. I was really hoping he would man up and fight to the death, blow up all his oil fields, and kill as many foreign invaders as he could. All this does if give the Western War Machine more fuel to continue our illegal and criminal intervention into areas where we have no business. It's not our job to run the world. It was a dumb idea to begin with for all the years we've been doing it, and now we simply can't afford to finance the military industrial complex in their make war for profit adventures.

TRIPOLI, Libya – Libya declared an immediate cease-fire and promised to stop military operations Friday in a bid to fend off international military intervention after the U.N. authorized a no-fly zone and "all necessary measures" to prevent the regime from striking its own people.

The announcement by Foreign Minister Moussa Koussa followed a fierce attack by Gadhafi's forces against Misrata, the last rebel-held city in the western half of the country. A doctor said at least six people were killed.

The U.N. Security Council resolution, which was passed late Thursday after weeks of deliberation, set the stage for airstrikes, a no-fly zone and other military measures short of a ground invasion. Britain announced that it would send fighter jets and France was making plans to deploy planes, but the U.S. had yet to announce what its role would be. NATO also held an emergency meeting.

With the international community mobilizing, Koussa said the government would cease fire in line with the resolution, although he criticized the authorization of international military action, calling it a violation of Libya's sovereignty.

"The government is opening channels for true, serious dialogue with all parties," he said during a news conference in Tripoli, the capital.

2. Ricter

Ricter

Gaddafi is a sly fox.

3. It's a smart move because now he has the moral high ground. If the french attack him, it becomes a foreign invasion, not "protecting" civillians.

4. He's a political survivor, that's for sure.

5. But Obama is weak according to many,although we all know that Obama could have vetoed the resolution and that the US was the country that was going to do most of the work in the attack on Libya

6. Lucrum

Lucrum

Are you not the same stooge that claimed Obama has his finger on the pulse?

7. olias

olias

I would debate you on your basic premise that 'it's non of our business'.

We do have an interest in what happens around the world. I'm talking about our own selfish interest in who's in power.

But more importantly, as decent human beings we have a responsibility to put an end to atrocities when we can. I mean unarmed men, women and children are being gunned down. They can't even express their opinion without fear of being killed. If it happens in Florida, we'd be literally up in arms, but if it happens in some foreign country we don't care? That's why the world doesn't get any better.

8. Really? We Americans are such great humanitarians saving the world from evil dictators? So what about the millions killed in Cambodia? Hundreds of thousands slaughtered in Rwanda and the Sudan? Tens of thousands killed and enslaved in North Korea? Let's see, what is it these places have in common? They don't have anything of value in the way of natural resources, now do they?
    No my friend, we're more than willing to watch people die by the millions when they have nothing to offer other than their miserable lives. Got some oil? Now that's a different game altogether. Then we're there to help.
    "They" don't hate us for our freedom. "They" hate us for our hypocrisy.

9. olias

olias

exactly. so if we pay lip service to democracy and freedom and turn a blind eye to these people when they are reaching for theirs....that is hypocrisy.

You really want to make the case that this is about oil again? Please let's not even waste our breath on that.

You tell me that we're not supposed to do anything about this:

"CNN) -- Deadly conflict is raging in Libya, witnesses say, despite the government announcement of an "immediate" cease-fire after a U.N. Security Council resolution authorizing the use of force to protect civilians.

At least 28 people died and hundreds were wounded as fighting raged in the Libyan cities of Mistrata, Ajdabiya and Zintan on Friday, according to Khaled el-Sayeh, military spokesman for the opposition.

Witnesses in the western city of Misrata said a pro-government assault is persisting and casualties are mounting as countries backing the council's move, such as Britain and France, get their military resources into place to enforce the measure.

"What cease-fire?" asked a doctor in Misrata, who described hours of military poundings, casualties and dwindling resources to treat the wounded. "We're under the bombs.

"This morning, they are burning the city," the doctor said. "There are deaths everywhere."
    Libya declares immediate cease-fire
    Libya reacts to no-fly zone
    Libyan rebels celebrate vote
    Breaking down a no-fly zone over Libya
    Libyan amb. still hopeful for airstrikes

"Misrata is on fire," according to an opposition member, who said tanks and vehicles with heavy artillery shot their way into the city Thursday night and the assault continued Friday. He said leader Moammar Gadhafi's regime announced a cease-fire to buy time for itself. "Please help us."" http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/africa/03/18/libya.civil.war/index.html?hpt=T1

10. I'm saying everyone deserves freedom, but there seems to be a criteria to be eligible for it. You trying to tell me that if Libya was just another craphole with nothing but sand that we would give a damn? The evidence says we wouldn't give anything but lip service.

#10     Mar 18, 2011