FXWave Old Dog Trading Journal

Discussion in 'Journals' started by FXWave, Jul 28, 2010.

1. Got the top print, good job.

#21     Aug 5, 2010
  2. FXWave

FXWave

Thank you

#22     Aug 5, 2010
  3. Why are you so defensive? I was merely trying to understand why you wouldn't post your trades in your journal...

Whether your trades are good or bad, public accountability for your trading often keeps you sharp. You might even receive some useful advice once in a while. Getting your back up and being defensive all of the time will get you no where.

#23     Aug 5, 2010
  4. FXWave

FXWave

I just want to keep the forum clean and focused on my market insights and the occasional trades that I want to post. If I am going to be posting live trades; then I am going to post them in the way I feel is best. I set the forum rules so this thread wouldn't be littered with distracting posts that people have to sort through.

This journal is not intended to post everyone of my trades as I don't want every trade to be followed. Many trades are just quick volatility trades that people following me wouldn't be capable of trading appropriately as the entry and exit could be so fast that it could cause more harm than good.

If your criticism is market based and not intended to just criticize me and my rules on this forum; then it could be a fruitful criticism that could actually help us all.

If you actually are still wondering why I should be defensive; then you need to reread some of the posts off of my intro thread. If you want to carry your personal criticisms forward; then go ahead and hit my intro thread posted below and I will respond if I have the time.

http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=203865

#24     Aug 5, 2010
  5. I see that you are applying a top-down approach to your analysis, drilling down from higher timeframes and such. However, what is your primary trading timeframe? Meaning the chart you look at when actually entering the trade? The reason I ask is it looks like you entered the trade close to the Fib level you indicated in your 30 minute chart, but you didn't have your order sitting there before price pulled back that far, else you would have posted the trade earlier. Were you looking for a double top at that level when you entered the trade (although it loooks like you didn't wait for confirmation based on your entry level)? What would you have done if price hit the 62% retracement at 6am central and then never retested?

This isn't a flame, I'm genuinely curious. I see that you use EW and Fibs in your analysis to find trades, just wondering if you throw price action analysis in the mix when you actually get around to placing the trade.

#25     Aug 5, 2010
  6. FXWave

FXWave

Good Questions.

However, what is your primary trading timeframe?

I really feed off the 60 minute chart but my entrys usually conform to really small timeframes such as 5 min and lower timeframes. The 60 minute timeframe gives me the intraday s/r levels I want to watch while the 5 and unders give me the intraday EW patterns I want to recognize and follow.

What would you have done if price hit the 62% retracement at 6am central and then never retested?

I could have missed the trade. I really liked that 1.5920 level as I knew it was good resistance in addition to it being a 618 retrace level; so when prices managed there way back there, then I had to take it. If I missed that particular level; I would just have to wait for another retrace into a solid resist level.

I see that you use EW and Fibs in your analysis to find trades, just wondering if you throw price action analysis in the mix when you actually get around to placing the trade.

I do use price action analysis in addition to EW and Fibs. I would probably have a much simpler life if I just stuck to price action but I have a drive to try and decode more of the market action; hence the EW forecasting.

#26     Aug 5, 2010
  7. FXWave

FXWave

30 min chart update

#27     Aug 5, 2010
  8. FXWave

FXWave

EUR/USD Short

Entry:1.3310
    Stop: 1.3327

Limit 1(first half position): 1.3235
    limit 2(closing position): 1.3000 or lower and open to adjustment

#28     Aug 6, 2010
  9. FXWave

FXWave

closing half at 1.3284 and moving stop to break even.

limit 2 in effect

#29     Aug 6, 2010
  10. FXWave

FXWave

Trade 1 Results =16 pips

32 pips on 1st half plus while breakeven(0) 2nd half =

16 overall on position.

#30     Aug 6, 2010