FX Trading Journal 2012

Discussion in 'Journals' started by CW2, Mar 3, 2012.

1. CW2

CW2

This thread will follow my trades for the rest of the 2012. I will post charts and discuss my reasons/thinking behind the positions. Constructive comments and discussion are welcome.

2. CW2

CW2

So I would like to start this journal with a little about myself and my style. I have been studying the financial markets for three years and started when I was 19 years old. Just read books and did a little sim trading for the first two years, but opened a live FX account about 6 months ago. I am a purely discretionary/directional trader. I will take positions based on technical analysis alone, but my favorite trades have solid fundamental reasoning and confirmed by the proper price action.

I will be trading a small account (2500 usd). I realize the odds are stacked against the undercapitalized trader, but everyone has to start somewhere. I feel there are a few things that a small account must do to improve the odds of success from zero:

1. Trade longer time frames. I will trade the weekly, daily, and 240’ time frames

2. Trade selectively: The goal is to not overtrade and if I can maintain proper psychology only the best setups for each strategy will be entered

3. Tight risk control: I would prefer to risk 0.5 to 2% per trade, but with such a small account I will have to increase this to 3 to 6%. I realize that once a drawdown reaches a certain size the percentage needed to get back to even increases dramatically. I have set the monthly drawdown limit to -15% of the months starting capital

4. Add to winners / Close the losers: I will be adding to the positions that show open profits and closing the losers at the predetermined stop level.

So I will probably only update the journal once or twice a week for now and see how it goes. Once again CONSTRUCTIVE comments are welcomed.

Additional posts to follow detailing my strategies and current positions

3. CW2

CW2

"Swing" trade strategy winner

I am trying to attach a jpg file. Not sure if it's working so just going to post and hope it's there.

4. CW2

CW2

"swing" trade strategy loser

5. CW2

CW2

Retest and fail (RNF) Double bottom/top winner

6. CW2

CW2

Retest and fail (RNF) double bottom/top loser

7. CW2

CW2

Breakout/breakdown winner