FX trading - general

Discussion in 'Forex' started by bl2001, Apr 16, 2007.

1. KGB,

Yeah, I'm looking to diversify. I've developed a macro economic model that use tech. analysis, so I am going to holding my positions from anywheres from few days to a few months. Going to trade around my main position.

Something different to try, but I can't see it becoming my bread and butter.

#11     Apr 20, 2007
  2. Thanks for the advice. In regards to options I meant Single payment option trading (SPOT). Is there any online broker that will allow me to trade these? Thanks again.

#12     Apr 20, 2007
  3. paden

paden

TOS is going to be offering forex, and i am considering adding that to my trading. You guys are a big help in that thought process. Thank you.

#13     Apr 20, 2007
  4. jjrvat

jjrvat

Risk Reward Ratios and Time frames:

Scalping: (1:1.5) 1 - max 2 pips / MAX 3 min time exit.
    Short term: (1.5:1) 8-10 pips / Max 20 min exit
    "Long Term": (2.5:1) 15-20 pips / "Flexible"

KGB,

Sounds interesting but if you don’t mind could you explain what do you mean as “macroeconomic model”? Econometrics? Regression? Or just Fundamental Analysis?

jjrvat

#14     Apr 23, 2007
  5. bl2001

bl2001

jjvrat,

Interesting time frames and RRRs. My style fits somewhere in between your short term and Long term trade. Stops for me are generally around 10 pips and never more 20 (inc spread). I normally trade out after 1-2 hours or so.

The scalp intrigues me though - are you trading with a spread of 1 pip? If so does your broker get you good fills or do you suffer from slippage more often?

B

#15     Apr 23, 2007
  6. jjrvat

jjrvat

B

1. I trade currency futures so spread is not an issue (bid/offer is always 1 pip). My broker is Open e Cry. Good customer service, decent commissions, below average charts (ok if you don’t use fancy charts and indicators). I only trade 3 contracts max so fillings during “normal” trading hours are adequate with the usual shortcomings of any retail broker. I have try trading 10+ contracts in the demo account and fillings are outstanding but I’m almost 100% sure that’s not like that with a live account.

2. I now this question has been discussed in other threats but why do you trade in the spot market instead of the futures market?

3. I read that you trade the European Session and you only use a bit of technical analysis. So what tools do you use for trading? Only price action? Or fundamental analysis? Because it will be interesting to exchange some thoughts in this forum about future economic data releases, especially during the EU session

jjrvat

#16     Apr 23, 2007