fx strategies for someone with a full-time job

Discussion in 'Forex' started by fm_88, May 5, 2021.

1. fm_88

fm_88

Hi. What blogs/books/articles etc would you recommend for someone with a full-time job to do swing trading? (or any kind of trading with medium to long-term perspective)

2. El Trado

El Trado

Python.org and pandas.pydata.org.

Then you can trade all day and night while focusing on your full-time job.

Or said in another way, get the computer to trade while you work.

Most of the time, my automatic trading brings me more money than my paycheck. But if I quit my day job, I would probably override the algos and start losing money. So therefore, I stick to keeping my job

yc47ib and Tradex like this.
  3. fm_88

fm_88

Thank you for your reply. What I meant where can I get ideas for trading to generate. Which books/blogs etc?

4. expiated

expiated

I am a profitable Forex retail trader, and though I don't purchase books on trading, I have looked into material made available online by such authors as Al Brooks, Van K. Tharp, Elder Alexander, J.M. Hurst and Brian Millard. Having done so, I must say that, were I attempting to swing trade foreign currency pairs while holding down a full-time job, I don't think I would find any of these publications all that helpful—but this is just my personal opinion.

On the other hand, based on my own experience and considering what I think I would find helpful, which is to say, the kind of strategies I've observed used by Forex traders like Cristian Moreno and Brad Gilbert and stock/futures traders such as Ray DeMedici, AJ Monte and Jim Roof, a book I might find of some value is the one I pasted below.

Again, I have not read this book myself, and therefore have no idea as to its actual content, but am merely citing it based on the recommendation of Jim Roof, who uses the kind of technical analysis I deem to be 100% legitimate, including when it comes to trading Forex, and who says that this book serves as the basis for 90% of what he knows about technical analysis…

ScreenHunter_9976 May. 05 07.52.jpg

Last edited: May 5, 2021
    fm_88 likes this.
  5. I recommend learning about the carry strategy and to start covering central bank events. You may have 2-4 trades per month, which is far more manageable. Once you get the direction (interest rate differentials and policy path), you can then evaluate the trend (exchange rates tend to be mean-reverting within a band-- no need to get super technical) to place entry/exits.

fm_88 likes this.
  6. SunTrader

SunTrader

ZIRP did away with carry for the most part.

7. Not really. Still lots of carry opportunities out there.

8. SunTrader

SunTrader

Turkish Lira no thanks.

9. Tradex

Tradex

There is really nothing special about the Forex, all the usual technical analysis techniques that traders use can be applied to the FX.

However and in general, the currency market responds better to trend-following systems.

I have read about 40 Forex books and quite frankly I did not learn much from them, just the usual technical analysis stuff : trendlines, support and resistance, chart patterns, candlestick formations, that kind of stuff.

expiated likes this.
  10. easymon1

easymon1

Were you a programmer before you started your automatic trading journey?
    How much time elapsed between the idea to start automatic trading and consistant profit?
    Thanks

#10     May 5, 2021
    Tradex likes this.