FX Poll: How many pips for stops

Discussion in 'Forex' started by lemeeeplay, Oct 31, 2008.

How wide are your day trade stops during current market volatility?

Poll closed Nov 7, 2008.
  1. 5 pips

3 vote(s)
    8.8%
  2. 10 pips

7 vote(s)
    20.6%
  3. 20 pips

9 vote(s)
    26.5%
  4. 40 pips

4 vote(s)
    11.8%
  5. 80 pips

2 vote(s)
    5.9%
  6. 100+ pips

9 vote(s)
    26.5%
  1. achilles28

achilles28

haha :)

#21     Nov 1, 2008
  2. speres

speres

Must admit I'm finding current volitility awesome
    I trigger all my stops manually, with an emergency wide stop in place.

I know pretty quickly whether the trade is good or not, and will stop out no worries manually..

Be aware that stops ARE hunted down, and I dont just mean by the bucket shops who you may deal with.. and while I'm at it watch out for the news events that will trigger your stop guaranteed, but you probably already know this...

#22     Nov 2, 2008
  3. No stops. But I don't daytrade and trade very small.Scaling in and out. I cut my size by a factor of 5 and never made so much with what was a tiny account. When I traded in several 10 k lot increments, stops of about 200 pips in EUR/USD . When I traded news with Globex, 25-60 pips (no longer feasible). In this environment for a multi hour time frame anything smaller than 200-300 pips will shake you out too often.

#23     Nov 2, 2008
  4. IluvVol

IluvVol

lol

#24     Nov 2, 2008
  5. A better question would be, "What is a good pair of shoes?"

It all depends, tiime horizon or dureation of trade, pair traded, time of day, risk reward ratio. Not all trades are handled the same.

Go back, refine your question and come back please.

#25     Nov 3, 2008
  6. Umm, why you waste your time posting a reply to a stupid poll then?

Anyways, thanks to those that took the poll.

I am actually hoping that volatility would drop back to normal in November, but for now, I am trading with 40 pip stops.

#26     Nov 3, 2008
  7. well the only use of the poll would be how much volitility outside of technical levels are you treating as "noise"

I like a 20 to 30 tick stop and generally look for spots where this is feasable, and figure out my position size from there. I will admit I was using more 15 tick stops a few months back.

#27     Nov 4, 2008