FX Backtesting

Discussion in 'Forex' started by Osiris, Dec 21, 2005.

1. Osiris

Osiris

Sorry if this question has been addressed in previous threads, but I was wondering if anybody knows some decent software I can subscribe to and backtest some FX trades, mostly GBPUSD and EURUSD. Problem is, I do not have a very big budget to spend on this....maybe US$100/mth for a couple mths of testing...that is it. I would be really interested in intra-day data...say 30minute bars going back as far as possible.

Thanks in advance to anyone with some advice/help on this one. I am new to FX and backtesting in general, just a disclaimer for my noob posting:)

Cheers

2. Digsyman

Digsyman

3. Osiris

Osiris

LOL...not sure why i didnt check them out right away... i thought Tradestation was only stocks/futures/options....

Funny thing is when i googled FX backtesting...tradestation didn't come up... :/

Thanks again :)

4. Obtaining historical intraday data for major forex pairs is pertty easy.

Many forex brokerages's software let you export their data in ASCII format which is usable by almost any plaform.

An important factor you need to know though is that data series for forex data can be very different from one source comparing to another. The concept of fill price, stops, etc. behave drastically different from something like stock data. That affects backtesting in ways many people do not expect.

5. Digsyman

Digsyman

Yes, And I forgot to inform that you can download FX quotes from forexite.com There is history for 2000-2005.