Futuresource spam

Discussion in 'Educational Resources' started by Kicking, Feb 10, 2004.

1. Don't ever register with Futuresource website for anything. I registered for their EOD "enhanced" charts. All it got me was about 3 weeks of use then it was back to their regular charts with pop ups . In the mean time I got 2 calls from FS rep, 3 calls (from the same guy) from Barkley Financial ( remember that commercial on how you ought to load up on unleaded gas options? that's them ). Now they just subscribed me to some Wickoff newsletter which I get everyday in my inbox. What's next? Wating for GFT (another FS site sponsor) to call me.

How lame.

2. nkhoi

nkhoi

that is precisely the reason for free magazine and news letters, from your selection they can make an educated guess of what is your interest and send you the appropriated offers. As soon as I applied for 1 of those free no-string attach magazine I know they got me and I have been laying low ever since.

3. Brandonf

Brandonf Sponsor

nothing in life is "free"

4. Hi Kicking,

See private message I sent you about FutureSource.com

Message was originally posted in the open forum but I deleted it and thought it was best to send it to you via pm instead.

NihabaAshi

5. pspr

pspr

Kicking, dont' give out your REAL phone number. I have a voice mail/fax box phone number that sends it to me in an email if I get a voice mail or fax. It costs me $15 a month for my business. If they want to leave me a voice mail it doesn't bother me but I sure don't want them calling me directly.

If you really don't want them to reach you by phone but the form demands something put in the directory assistance phone number for New York or somewhere.

212-555-1212

Also, go to somewhere like mima.zzn.com and set up a free email box then set the filters to delete all messages. Then unless you need to get a password or something from them by email, they can email to that box all day and never bother you (but they think they are because it doesn't bounce back to them). :D

6. This sentence has another saying in China:
    Pies never fall down from the sky!

7. I registered for free stuff at many websites but rarely if ever have I been submitted to such marketing practices. FS obviously still operates as in the old( and shady) days of the futures industry.
    I don't give my real name nor my real address, and only a secondary email address. I give my phone number only if I am convinced the service is worth it and they are reputable, after all that's the trade off. But it doesn't mean they can give away my details to everybody in Chicago eh and call me 3 times when I said I was not interested !

8. pspr

pspr

At the first call use the words, "remove me from your calling list". If they keep calling they are in violation of federal law.

Also, make sure your numbers are on the federal do not call list. Third parties are in violation of the law if they call you. If they do, turn them in to the FTC.

And, get caller ID on your phone. I don't answer any call anymore that I do not know who the caller is. If it is for a legitimate purpose, they can leave a message and I'll call them back or I'll pick it up in mid message.

I hate telesolicitors. I refuse to buy from anyone who has ever telesoliicited me or sent me spam email. If everyone took that attitude the crap would stop.

9. No use calling the do not call list, I am outside the US! That's why I was surprised they 'd even call me. The funniest thing was the Barkley pitch; that maybe I needed some guidance from a broker whose business it is to make money in the markets, and that they weren't just looking at charts cos any monkey could do that! THEY knew what to look at.

10. iqfeed

iqfeed DTN

Not necessarily true. We offer an end of day market recap called @close. It is free, and we never sell or spam the email list (we have one or two banner ads in the email).

Nonetheless, I have setup my own domain that has a nobody alias (catches all email sent to invalid email addresses on my domain). Anytime I register for something online, free or otherwise, I use an email address of [sitename]@mydomain.com. Such as elitetrader@mydomain.com or amazon@mydomain.com. Then, I setup filters on the nobody alias to allow the email to come in from addresses I have chosen, and automatically delete the rest. Now, when someone sells my address to someone else, I know who it was because the spam was sent to amazon@mydomain.com for instance. Then you can go back and look at the privacy policy and see if they are in compliance.

I get a lot of email to tradersexpo@mydomain.com after registering last year!

works very well!

Jay

#10     Feb 12, 2004