Futures trading broker

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by anituchka, Sep 28, 2010.

1. I`m also checking out various futures brokers and I`ve been very interested in IB because you get free data.

With Mirus and Zen you only get futures data and will have to pay for any additional data feeds beyond that.

Is that not worth considering when choosing or can one get quality data for a reasonable price these days?

The research continues...

Laissez Faire

#11     Oct 5, 2010
  2. Brokers free data SUCK. You need to pay for accurate charting.

#12     Oct 9, 2010
  3. LeeD

LeeD

This all depends on what you need. For example, if you look at hourly charts only hold positions for hours to days, how fast the data arrives probably matters much less compared to someone watching time and sales. There is no point in paying more unless you can tell the difference.

#13     Oct 10, 2010
  4. joe4422

joe4422

Most brokers free data sucks, but you're very wrong about Interactive Brokers data, because their data is excellent. In fact, many times I've seen it better than E signal.

#14     Oct 10, 2010
  5. joe4422

joe4422

To me the choice is easy. Go to these little futures brokers and notice how they are members of nothing. No insurance, no regulation.

Then ask your self, how do they make money from those tiny commissions with all the customer service they provide? Look at interactivebrokers, they don't have it in their budget to get you on google chat and have a conversation with you, but these small futures brokers will be calling you every three days just to chat. And the futures brokers have a smaller profit margin than IB.

My big question is how do they afford it? How do they afford this customer service?

I won't tell you how, because this post will be deleted if I do, but dig a bit deeper and you'll find a really good reason to use a real brokerage instead.

#15     Oct 10, 2010
  6. spd

spd

Interactive Brokers is a fine firm, but you are stupid.

For those that dont know, Joseph4422 thinks small futures IBs like Amp, Velocity, etc trade against their clients. He has no clue how futures and regulations are structured.

FWIW, Ive been with Mirus clearing through RCG for quite a while now and Im completely statisfied. Customer service is friendly and helpful. Ninjatrader is a nice and stable platform.

#16     Oct 10, 2010
  7. spd, I am interested to know how futures and regulations are structured? So, you are saying there is no difference which firm I choose: IB or some small futures only firm, like AMP, Global Futures, etc???

#17     Oct 11, 2010
  8. marks1117

marks1117

I'll throw into the mix similar to above -- I trade with interactive and have been happy. Only thing I don't like is it shuts my platform down once each evening so if i run any strategies I have to restart.

Mirus is very good as well -- I use that when I need even faster fills with a strategy like sending through a market order. I have noticed it fills just a hair quicker than my IB fills.

Both really good choices - the universal account in particular with IB is really great.

#18     Oct 13, 2010
  9. ram_zaan

ram_zaan

i worked with able world trading and found them good , the first step of success in trading starts from selecting a good broker 9 it is my view, you may differ)

#19     Oct 13, 2010
  10. OEC has been a reliable platform for me - including using their data. I trade on momentum charts and rarely is it an issue.

http://www.openecry.com

#20     Oct 13, 2010