Futures Trading and Initial Capital

Discussion in 'Commodity Futures' started by shazam75, May 30, 2011.

1. I disagree. On the contrary, shares can plunge 50% overnight easily. This is hardly an issue in futures. I think you are doing it the wrong way. The only problem with futures is limits. Some have and some don't.

#11     Jun 6, 2011
  2. bone

bone

I've had several clients start out with $25K in a futures account - I typically have them stay in the very low vol spreads when they first start out in the live markets. By that point in time, they have already been paper or SIM trading the system for a few to several months while tracking the performance metrics - including max drawdowns. Swing trading low vol futures spreads is, IMO, one of the safest and most consistent trading strategies around anywhere. In fact, that is the way I generally trade my own personal accounts.

#12     Jun 6, 2011
  3. shazam75

shazam75

oh my! I thought futures is less volatile than stocks!

#13     Jun 11, 2011
  4. shazam75

shazam75

If you can find that paper that will be wonderful to read. My risk percent depends on the commodity - but it is in the area of 4% per trade, yes all my trades have a stop loss which is set as soon as I am in the trade. I hope I do not get too much of a drawdown, but if I hit 20k I am out of the game.

#14     Jun 11, 2011
  5. emg

emg

futures/commodity market is less volatile than stocks?????

Put this on fridge:

More than 90% of small traders lose. They just lose!!

#15     Jun 13, 2011
  6. as678

as678

Careful there friend! Read up some futures trading basics before you go out and experiment!

#16     Jun 17, 2011
  7. mikeenday

mikeenday Guest

if you have already lost 100k and gone through couple years of hard knock, you don't need 40k to trade future, 4000 will do the trick if you only swing 1 contract.

#17     Jun 18, 2011
  8. It depends on many factors. Given the instrument volatility (present and historical), it's your strategy that will mainly dictate capital requirements.

The choice of the candidates instruments you indicate for trading doesn't seem to me the best one.

It's always better to choose a meaningful folio and carefully prepare to trade it.

Tom

#18     Jun 20, 2011
  9. emg

emg

$4K to swing trade futures/commodity market???

More than 90% of small traders lose. They just lose!!!

#19     Jun 20, 2011
  10. bone

bone

Well, they are surely bound to lose if the plan is to throw money at a market without a viable and tested strategy, no doubt.

#20     Jun 20, 2011