Futures Traders- What percentage of your net worth are you trading with?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Zr1Trader, Jul 12, 2011.

1. I respect your trading style, do what works for you and don't let your self be driven by what others are doing...two thumbs up

#21     Jul 26, 2011

2. minutes, would never do that in seconds as it would give me a stress heart attack...LOL

the moves in the 15-30 min time frame(especially in the 6E) are absolutely beautiful when bouncing off of daily and intraday pivots.

I use Ninja for live trading but use MT4 demo FX spot acct for charting.

#22     Jul 26, 2011
  3. Ok, sorry if the question was dull, I'm a terrible scalper so I assume nothing when it comes to profitable ones.

When you say pivots you mean hand picked pivots or formulas like Daily Pivot, S1, R1 ?

FoN

#23     Jul 26, 2011
  4. example below: they are pivot formula

#24     Jul 26, 2011
  5. Got it, thanks for taking the time.

FoN

#25     Jul 26, 2011
  6. Specterx

Specterx

250k total net worth?

Probably 200k in futures account @ 10,000 per car, 25k in ready cash (for day to day spending) and 25k emergency cash reserve.

At such a low TLNW figure, and assuming consistent profitable futures trading in the first place, I don't see the use of maintaining a diversified portfolio. Let the money sit there and (hopefully) make 6-15% a year or deploy your edge to make 25-100%? Diversified portfolio is for when you have no better edge available, for when you've got millions to play with (enough that you could do buy n' hold with a portion and live off those returns), or when your main strategy runs into liquidity issues.

At $10k per car capitalization, risk for me would be 1.5-3% of futures trading capital per trade.

#26     Jul 26, 2011
  7. From my prof objective point of view, diversification is in the cards for a trader based on past and present win/loss performance. I happen to be an expert at scalping and therefore stay focused on the instruments(6E &/or ES). My personal point of view is that if you focus on no more than 1 or 2 markets you will be become more specialized in those markets and therefore you will eventually become more proficient at finding better trading opportunities and attain a higher winning percentage.

...my 2 cents

#27     Jul 26, 2011
  8. JSHINV

JSHINV

Thanks. I appreciate the comment.

I use 1.0 percent to 1.5 percent maximum risk on each trade. I'll move stops tighter; but never wider. Usually I just move them up or down to breakeven when price is well past break even - on the good days. :)

#28     Jul 26, 2011
  9. On my euro futures trades, i have my platform(Ninja) setup to auto trail and move the stop-loss to just above break even once it has moved in my favor at least 10-15 pips, depending on the the price action(swing high/low) of the last 3-5 15min bars

#29     Jul 26, 2011
  10. Does the market know or care how much you have in your account?

What's 1% of your account have to do with market action?

#30     Jul 26, 2011