Futures Trader abruptly stops trading, becomes airline baggage handler

Discussion in 'Trading' started by short&naked, Mar 18, 2013.

1. http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2012-12-05/the-futures-trader-turned-airline-baggage-handler

The Futures Trader Turned Airline Baggage Handler

As an independent trader at the Chicago Mercantile Exchange Group’s Chicago headquarters, Bruce Bere exchanged futures contracts. He started as a pit runner and then became a desk manager at a small firm before entering into business for himself, e-trading his own portfolio of futures and options from an on-site office. By early 2011, the 25-year-old was making at least $75,000 a year. But in March 2011, Bere abruptly stopped trading and took a job as an airline baggage handler for United Airlines at the Chicago O’Hare International Airport. “I have always been a big aviation geek,” he says. “I got the job because it allows me to be around airplanes, which my friends give me crap for.”

Technically, Bere’s title is “ramp agent.” He’s in charge of parking, loading, and helping airlines push back from the gate. Instead of a sport coat, he now wears a reflective orange vest. He earns the standard $10 an hour. And while he enjoys working around the giant aircraft, Bere isn’t shy about boarding them, either. “I wanted to see the world,” he says....

---------------------------------------------------

Did this guy lose his edge or his mind???

2. Lol, I was a ramp agent in the late 90s in Phoenix. Fun job, but only if you are completely nuts about airplanes and want the free travel benefits.

The guy may have wiped out, or maybe he's just burned out and ready for a vacation. Throwing bagz isn't that hard.