Futures prop shop ?

Discussion in 'Prop Firms' started by felichka, Dec 20, 2003.

1. If I simply open account and start trading it on my own I will pay dearly, this what happened to me when I started trading stocks 4 years ago.

I want to prepare myself and I do not want pay any monthly fees right now as I do not know what to expect from this trading.
    Right now I can not tell the difference between Xtrader and Pats
    all shops that offer futures trading want you to pay monthly fee and start trading as much as possible.

If I open account with IB and do not trade for a month or two do I have to pay to them anything ?

#11     Dec 21, 2003
  2. I am over 30 my man, nevertheless bright and motivated.

#12     Dec 21, 2003
  3. unless one is trading BIG size several hundred to a thousand or more contracts, why go prop ?? perhaps there is superior software that is only available to prop shops--other than that, i can't think of a good reason to trade prop futures.

yes, checking out a firms financials should be the very first step in determining if you should go with them. if they refuse or hesitate--- RUN !

best,

surfer:)

#13     Dec 21, 2003
  4. Do you have any capital to put up?

If you do I can make you an offer here in NYC.

Send me a PM.

DTP

#14     Dec 21, 2003

5. pete,

can you enlighten me as to the advantage of prop futures ?

thanks !

surfer:)

#15     Dec 21, 2003
  6. Banjo

Banjo

Just out of curiosity, I have no interest in prop trading, how much leverage would a prop futs shop offer? The risk profile approaches
    warp 10 fairly quickly.

#16     Dec 21, 2003
  7. Pabst

Pabst

Rather than increased leverage Banjo, the allure of prop futures is the much lower than retail commissions.

#17     Dec 21, 2003
  8. Banjo

Banjo

Ahh, thanks Pabst. Knew it was lower, just not by exactly how much.

#18     Dec 21, 2003
  9. jeffgus

jeffgus

Member status and ability to bundle contracts is the reason that future shops work. But most of all, education and proprietary systems that offers the new market participant an "edge" to make a living at the screen.

#19     Dec 21, 2003
  10. manna

manna

WHOOOOOOA!!

"unless one is trading BIG size several hundred to a thousand or more contracts, why go prop ?? "

several hundred? hmm....you MUST have a lot of dough and had a lot of experience when you started surfer.

....let's just look at a hundred? 100 lots in treasuries, for example....1,562.50 per HALF tick? i also think they would make you put up about 1,500 per contract or so....there is a min. of 15K you put right up.

and now you are just starting out? not gonna make any bad trades are you? or maybe not!! let's see...drop 5 ticks? seems reasonable? another 15,625.

better not have another losing day!!! unless you have 45K burning a hole in your pocket. several hundred? better have 100plus the first couple days.

big leverage means big risk pretty quick! prop shops will take this sort of risk but not without a long track record. most can also give you the education and risk management an inexperieced trader lacks.

unless you have a lot of dough to burn or experience in making money, going through a prop room isn't always the wrong thing.

#20     Dec 21, 2003