Futures Prop Firms?

Discussion in 'Prop Firms' started by dmq, Jan 21, 2009.

1. dmq

dmq

I am looking to start with a futures prop firm and have some questions -

- are there any prop firms which work similar to some of the securities firms, where I can deposit an amout and use their leverage?

- what are standard commision rates / fees / etc. at these kind of places?

2. Unless you have an audited track record (actual brokerage statements), NOBODY is going to give you any more leverage to trade.

Why would you need need any more leverage than $500/contract which is readily available at many FCM's without a PROP firm?

You could try using the search function here!

p

3. Not true. If you have a track record a prop firm will take your <b>un-audited</b> brokerage statements if they are interested in hiring you. I think what the OP means is, how do I get 100k to trade with when I only got 10k right now but I'm doing pretty well with that, just want more.

There's no easy answer to this question but what I'd suggest is draw up a cover letter and resume that highlights your strengths and weaknesses as a trader, and what makes you feel you'll be profitable with their firm. Hit this link and start sending letters. Good Luck!

http://www.traderslog.com/proprietarytradingfirms.htm

4. dmq

dmq

That is exactly what I am talking about - I see these stock prop shops like Bright, etc., and I wonder if there are any futures only places that work the same way, and would not require a series 7, which I really don't want to bother with. Have a series 3, not that that means much, as it is a prety easy test.

5. volente_00

volente_00

I 100% agree.

Is 80 to 1 retail leverage not risky enough for you ?

Why would anyone in their right mind want to take 80 to 1 leverage and multiply it by 10 risk wise ?

6. dmq

dmq

I am looking to trade spreads (yeild curve and position trade futures - I am not really worried about 500 dollar intraday margins, but with my capital - 25k - i cannot trade more than one contract of a few limited markets. Hence, my desire for prop shop leverage - or something like that.