Futures Prop and the Currency Markets

Discussion in 'Prop Firms' started by Load_the_boat, Sep 19, 2005.

1. FredBloggs

FredBloggs Guest

sometimes.

if the us session is likely to be quiet, then i will try the euro session.

spread will typically be 1-2 ticks.

sure, i wouldnt trade other fx futures in the european session, only ec. although volume is thinner, it still follows the cash pretty well.

#11     Sep 20, 2005
  2. What about European futures exchanges?

Are there any European futures exchanges that have FX futures with high volume/liquidy during European trading hours?

#12     Sep 20, 2005
  3. yeah, i was a currency trader at what is probably the biggest futures prop operation there is, no they don't trade the cash at all, yes, many do trade the european session.

#13     Sep 20, 2005
  4. Benz, I would like to talk to you, your email is turned off, please get in touch with me

#14     Sep 20, 2005
  5. this dosen't really make much sense, as the cash is generally considered less tricky to trade than the futs. the only thing that makes cash tougher from the retail end are the spreads and the MM/trader conflict of interest. but from an institutional standpoint, obviously this doesent apply... it would be interesting to know which firm you are reffering to...

#15     Sep 20, 2005
  6. With the exception of Eur/USD, I've found all other pairs to be very thin outside of US RTH, with 5-10pip "mini-spikes" being quite common.

Also, I would be very careful with overnight stops in CME forex, because Globex stops are visible. E.g. in GBP I've had a stop gunned 60pip (!!!) away from price during illiquid time, right after Globex comes back online at 18:05.

#16     Sep 20, 2005
  7. Did they only trade FX futures on CME, or did they use a European futures exchange, particularly during European trading hours?

#17     Sep 20, 2005
  8. TGM

TGM

EurexUS starts trading FX futures this friday. Should be interesting to see how they go. At first, I did not even think about trading them over CME. But with the fees and the global market makers they have on board. This could be a good market for EurexUS. We will see. It is a BIG contract---2x the size of CME's.

#18     Sep 20, 2005
  9. Since Eurex is a European company and London has the highest volume of currency trading, perhaps they can get more liquidity than CME. The only thing on the CME with good liquidity is the Euro.

#19     Sep 20, 2005
  10. Are their any retail spot forex prop shops? besides the one who was a sponsor here in ET?

Could you name a few?

Michael B.

#20     Sep 20, 2005