Futures options software

Discussion in 'Options' started by TraDaToR, Nov 8, 2012.

1. TraDaToR

TraDaToR

Hello,

I am interested in trading commodity options actively and I am looking for a cheap analysis software.

What I would typically like to be able to do is charting several intercorrelated products volatility smiles( equity indexes, soy and soy products... ) and chart volatility surfaces per products including long deferred new crop expiries...

Is their something similar to Hoadley for futures? I am not looking for professional tools at 1K+ per month but just a cheap excel interface for TWS or something similar...

Otherwise, if I have to code my own spreadsheets, do you think I can use IB TWS implied vol values directly or recalculate?

Thanks a lot.

2. sle

sle

Nothing prevents you from building one yourself, the number of underlying is small and there is plenty that can be done in Excel alone.

3. TskTsk

TskTsk

Excel.

4. Hoadley works for futures too, only the IB option chains are not the best when pulled into Hoadley.

I subscribed to eSignal OnDemand (ie delayed 15 mins) in order to get the futures options chains smoothly, plus I also use that for the local stocks so it works out nicely.

I also bookmarked the site below, but beyond that I have not looked at the software. If you do look in detail, please share your views.

http://optionstar.com/

5. TraDaToR

TraDaToR

OK Thanks I think I will create spreadsheets using TWS implied vol values...

It seems Option Star is just a soft to analyze spreads, my main concern is to chart vol surfaces.

6. Newex

Newex

Totally confused .

In another thread
    http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?threadid=252951
    people are saying that excel is useless because you are using historical volatility based on past data which is useless and you need too buy a programs that keed track of historical implied volatilities .

In this thread you say use excel

Whats the right way to go ???

7. TskTsk

TskTsk

You got it all wrong, re-read the thread you quoted...