Futures Options Simulator/Demo

Discussion in 'Options' started by candymr2, May 24, 2006.

1. candymr2

candymr2

Anyone know of a simulator/demo that lets you trade options on futures? I need one that will calculate margin requirements for the trade, and also being able to execute the trade in the demo. Thanks in advance! -Ted

2. tomhaden

tomhaden

3. You might want to look at opening a paper trading account with Interactive Brokers.

MoMoney.

4. Hey mo...I'm still trying to understand what the advantage is to trading options on futures? I have my hands full trading options on the vanilla's:p

5. MTE

MTE

SPAN margining, i.e. risk-based margining, is the main advantage of options on futures as opposed to index/equity options, which are rule-based margining.

By the way, options on futures are vanilla as well.:)

6. thx:D

7. MTE,

Can you give an example of SPAN margin calculation? Is the SPAN margin lower than the index option?

I have been trading IWM options for a while, and will like to take a bigger position to move to either Russell 2000 index option (10 times cheaper in terms of commission) or Russell 2000 future option? However, I don't know how future option works (I never traded future). Can we apply the same trading strategies in all these 3 instruments?

8. candymr2

candymr2

Thanks!

yip1997 --- Yes, SPAN margin requirements are MUCH lower than regulation T margin.

Example:

ES JUL2006 1200P -100 CONTRACTS $-31,188.33
    ES JUN2006 1200P +100 CONTRACTS $10,534.21

NET PREMIUM $20,654.13

DAY MARGIN
    =========

INITIAL $ 13,357
    MAINTENENCE $ 10,830

OVERNIGHT
    ========

INTIAL $ 27,000
    MAINTENENCE 21,659.00