Futures market opening bracket trades

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by 5Pillars, May 28, 2006.

1. Which platform do you use to implement your user-defined strategy for order placement and exits?

#21     Jun 1, 2006
  2. I've tried a similar approach on Fed days, so that's why I'm curious.

Your got short first, today. How much slack do you give a position before stopping out? Thanks.

#22     Jun 1, 2006

3. I currently use Trademaven but I am in the process of switching everything over to XTrader - Trademaven and their various datafeed options have been filled with excessive technical problems the last several months.

#23     Jun 2, 2006

4. I do a different style bracket trade for news releases - a bit more spacing between the first entries from each account and the order stack arrangements are different.

The amount of slack is the part that I determined through extensive backtesting, and lets just say it is well into the opposite side account order stack before the first activated account would stop out. :) me say no more about this part - LOL! :)

#24     Jun 2, 2006
  5. Fridays trade hit 1.8% return at 09:44 est - this trade had one small stop out from the short account which was the first account activated. The next action was activation of the long account with just a bit less follow through then needed to complete this trade - so the phase I modified stack long account had a stop out bigger than the first short account stop out. At this point I had two price movements with no follow through yet enough to get my 1%. The short account was then re-activated with a phase II modified stack which hit the final cover needed at 1286.00 for 1% or better.

This trade actually made 1.8% because of the grown position size with 1286.25 not being enough for me to get my full 1% after commissions - so I placed all my remaining covers at 1286.00, and that yielded some extra profits above my normal daily goal.

This type of zig-zag opening trade happens about 20% to 25% of all my trades, but these trades still work with my trade entry/exit mechanics netting 1% or better.

#25     Jun 3, 2006
  6. Today was quick - made about 1.2% by 09:38 est through the short account.

#26     Jun 5, 2006
  7. Today was another quickie - 1.1% by 09:33 est from the long side account.

I hope we keep this type of trade action at the open all summer - makes my trade set up hit the profit target quick.

#27     Jun 6, 2006
  8. Congratulations on your quick successes these last few mornings. It must be nice to be done so early in the day. :)

Does your opening bracket size vary from day to day (perhaps based on pre-9:30 price movement) or do you have a fixed size you work with consistently from day to day?

#28     Jun 6, 2006
  9. I have weekly fixed "bracket" order stacks that I readjust at the end of each Friday - this way I have my new increased position size "brackets" stack for the next week. I incrementally grow my position size once a week on Friday, so I have the brackets stack always set for a 1% or better return of my account size within the same range of price movement.

I do the exact same mechanical method each week but with increased position size starting each Monday.

#29     Jun 7, 2006
  10. 1.2% today by 09:40 est through the short account for the ES and 1.3% for the EC.

I had finished my backtesting for the EC contract yesterday and I was live with this new product for my opening bracket trades today. The EC looks really good from all my backtesting and I am ready to add other products as the completion of backtesting permits.

2.5% for the day is not bad with a Trademaven crash while right in the middle of the trades...LOL, and all out by 09:40 est - time to get back to my testing for the ER2.

#30     Jun 7, 2006