Futures is up, is collapse over?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by The Kin2, Jan 17, 2008.

1. You mean all the doomsday depression scenarios in the media every day now with interviews of perma bears calling for a multi-year bear market :confused:

:p

#61     Jan 18, 2008
  2. And nobody listening to BEN & Co monotonic repeating U.S. will experience "slow growth" but no recession...but it seems some smart ass culprits have drunk elixir of wisdom and were figting the FED...:confused:

#62     Jan 18, 2008
  3. <i>"You mean all the doomsday depression scenarios in the media and interviews with perma bears calling for a multi-year bear market"</i>

No, I mean the, "Let's hurry up and get this trivial selloff nuisance over with, so markets can return to new all-time highs. My 401k and IRA are suffering right now, so (Greenspan circa) Bernanke better cut rates asap and make it all better for me" mantra.

That's what I meant.

#63     Jan 18, 2008
  4. Sorry austin, I couldn't resist :) IMO, the media has a completely different "feel" to it than 2000/2001. On the other side - as you said - there are always traders/investors that hope, essentially that's what helps a bear market unfold. I just don't see the media feeding any hope in the last couple of weeks/months.

While of course this is subjective and anecdotal, quite to the contrary I see a lot of doomsday scenarios painted in the media on how this is "another 1907/1930 depression" and we're in for a "huge stock market contraction as global growth grinds to a halt". To me the media kind of feels like they know they have caused a lot of damage with the 2000/2001 cheerleading and now want to show how they matured and have become more critical and 'objective' to the bull and bear cases. Again, it's just a personal impression, I didn't conduct any scientific study of recent headlines.

#64     Jan 18, 2008
  5. LT701

LT701

i think you're right

my best guess is that we just saw act one of something pretty big, and it's dangerous on both sides of the market

i think the next failed rally provides opportunity

late december rally really had a bear smell to it - too sharp, like a backtest (which it was)

my guess, and that's all it is, that having technically confirmed a bear with a lower low, they smoke the amature shorts, give relief to the longs, and then...

#65     Jan 18, 2008
  6. This market environment is quite different from the 2000-2001 environment. Throughout this bull phase from 2003 to 2007, people have not really embraced stocks as risk-free and a steady source of returns like they did back from the mid 90s to 2000. People are more hardened and cynical now then back in 2001. I see less speculation, lower expectations than back then. This is a more bullish market than back then. But this is still a bear market. You can't expect the endless selling that we saw in 2001, that was one of the most bearish markets I have seen in a long time. This one will have its own character, but a milder bear market which will last a while nonetheless because the fundamentals are so bad.

#66     Jan 18, 2008
  7. LT701

LT701

"This one will have its own character"

very wisely put - they always do

I remember people in late 2000-2001 frantically asking, 'is this like '98?, is this like '74?, is this like '29?, and the truth is that they were looking at a unique piece of history unfolding in front of them.

it was the tech wreck of 01

people will be wise to give whatever this one is it's due - at the very least, it will have it's own twists and turns, be it milder or worse

on the S & P, this one actually has a more sharp introduction, it's already erased what would be 'wave 5' of the bull, for those who do elliot wave.

(i think elliot wave can be a real circle jerk for those who get too caught up in it, but it can sometimes be observed in hindsight, 3 phases of early mid and late trend)

#67     Jan 18, 2008
  8. Good points detective and LT701, I agree.

#68     Jan 18, 2008
  9. Two economic stimlus plans from the same admin, hummmm.

#69     Jan 18, 2008
  10. gnome

gnome

Well, and their perpetual one of deficit spending.

#70     Jan 18, 2008