Futures Currency questions

Discussion in 'Trading' started by schulzey, Jun 23, 2012.

1. schulzey

schulzey

Yup, that's the plan.

Thanks.

#31     Jun 24, 2012
  2. Yeah. Some Australian brokerage I read about on here has a micro S&P where each tick is also $1.25 instead of $12.50 like on the ES. Unfortuantely they don't offer accounts to Americans.

I think that would be a great learning/practice vehicle for people who want to learn to trade but don't have or don't want to use a big account.

#32     Jun 24, 2012
  3. I didn't know this. I just Googled them and found these:

FXB - pound (avg 30k daily volume)
    FXE - Euro (avg 1.1M daily volume)
    FXA - Australian dollar (avg 292k daily volume)
    FXY - Yen (avg 220k daily volume)
    FXC - Canadian dollar (avg 78k daily volume)

Those are all around $100 or more per share. Seems like you'll need a decent amount of money to trade those, too.

#33     Jun 24, 2012
  4. schulzey

schulzey

I've been checking the E-Micro M6E today and the spreads were never more than one pip (which is the same spread as the normal size contract). Granted I am using a demo account and I'm checking quotes during normal U.S. Market hours.

If that's normal for the spread I'm definitely going to trade those.

#34     Jun 25, 2012
  5. How's the volume?

I haven't looked at them in years, but a few years ago the volume was really low and the spreads were a lot wider than one tick.

#35     Jun 25, 2012
  6. schulzey

schulzey

Current volume is 5211 which is nothing compared to the 1588602 for the emini. But the spreads are one pip.

#36     Jun 25, 2012
  7. schulzey

schulzey

When I checked the spread over the weekend while the market was closed the spread was 30 pips or so. That's pretty common when you look at spread data for anything that is closed.

Sometimes the last price is a pip outside the spread but it has been only a one pip spread all day long. Can anyone confirm this that is using other futures platforms?

#37     Jun 25, 2012
  8. schulzey

schulzey

I'm also curious about currency futures and taxes. I've been told that e-mini S&P's fall under the 60/40 tax rule and Forex is in a gray area where it's not clearly defined yet how it's taxed.

Do Currency futures like the E-Micro EUR/USD fall under the futures tax rules of 60/40 or does it fall under the forex tax rules?

I would assume since they are futures they would be treated as such but you never know.

#38     Jun 25, 2012
  9. they are 60/40 b/c they are (legally) a futures contract.

#39     Jun 26, 2012
  10. schulzey

schulzey

thanks for the reply!

#40     Jun 26, 2012