Futures broker for Canadians?

Discussion in 'Retail Brokers' started by Learning2Trade, Oct 26, 2012.

1. Thanks! Unfortunately, I am located in BC. :(

#11     Nov 15, 2012
  2. seadog

seadog

Zumo will take your account.

#12     Nov 15, 2012
  3. Thanks for the suggestion. Any others are welcome.

Have you used Zumo, and are they any good?

#13     Nov 15, 2012
  4. seadog

seadog

Have used Zumo. Middle of the range as far as good/bad goes. Depends what you are looking for.

#14     Nov 15, 2012
  5. BC also has legislation restricting foreign brokers.

Why don't you just use RJO Canada. That way you get the benefit of Canadian account insurance.

#15     Nov 15, 2012
  6. MattZ

MattZ Sponsor

As far as I know, and I could be wrong, Canada brokers don't allow day trading margins. Its always full margin..is that true?

#16     Nov 15, 2012
  7. Kirkx

Kirkx

That only applies to stocks. It's usually 50% margin for stocks over $3 and 30% for optionable stocks over $5, day or overnight, no difference (the dollar thresholds might be slightly different between different brokers).

With futures, RTH margin is half of overnight margin, at least that's how it works with Interactive Brokers Canada with contracts like ES, YM, CL.

#17     Nov 15, 2012

8. Thanks for the info.

From my talks with AMP, they also take Ontario residents.

IB Canada does futures as well, no?

#18     Nov 15, 2012
  9. They do, and you get Canadian insurance with them also.

However, some people prefer a pure futures broker that supports third party platforms like CTS T4, such as RJO Canada.

IB also has limitations in its support of certain spreads and some object to its automated liquidation policies. Its futures options margins are also idiosyncratic.

#19     Nov 15, 2012
  10. I use IB now and they are ok. Unfortunately their data feed isn't so good (aggregated ticks vs unfiltered rt tick data) and it also doesn't connect with Ninjatrader, hence my original query. :(

#20     Nov 16, 2012