Futures Beginner needs help

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by retire45, Aug 27, 2008.

1. I have traded stocks forever and have tired a bit of them. Basically looking for a leveraged way to trade S&P on a swing basis.. a day to 5 days maybe more. What is the best book/site out there to describe all the available instruments.. ES (what does that stand for?) E-mini (what's that??), leverage levels, best established brokers.. etc.. Not looking for any strategies, just an overview on S&P futures (I am guessing this is the only way to leverage S&P more than stocks?)..

Thanks in advance...

2. The "long" and "short" leveraged ETF's too.

3. I am not aware of Long Leveraged ETF's.. Currently doing SKF but was unable to short it yesterday at Ameritrade..

OR are you referring to the Short/Long ETF's through futures??

4. SSO & SDS

5. Nazz.. aware of those (DDM also) but their volatility pales compared to SKF..

6. Thanks... for the info..

7. 1) I don't trade stocks. Can it be "difficult" to short-sell a short-biased ETF?
    2) Consider trading the e-mini instead.

8. Nazz... Ok ETF's are shortable.. Ameritrade was out of inventory at the time..

9. Nazz... tried to short SKF today in the 124's no shares... Really need another way to trade SKF short.. I am long UYG but the $ trade has to be so much larger to match..

#10     Aug 28, 2008