Futures and IRAs

Discussion in 'Retail Brokers' started by Magna, Nov 6, 2007.

1. Magna

Magna Administrator

I have IRA accounts at Interactive Brokers and am permitted to trade/invest in futures. I would like to transfer a portion of that IRA money over to another brokerage house that also permits trading/investing in futures. Does anyone know which firms allow futures trading in IRAs (preferably both standard and Roth IRAs)? Thanks for any suggestions.

2. Truff

Truff

Most brokers will take IRA's as far as i know

3. Magna

Magna Administrator

Thanks Truff. The key for me is not whether they will just take IRAs, but whether they will allow you to trade futures in your IRA. That's a big difference. If anyone has any specific names that they are sure allow futures trading in IRAs please let me know. Thanks.

4. Opra

Opra

IB seems to be the only one that allows futures in IRA (I'm in same situation). I'd like to know the answer as well.

5. le140

le140

TradeStation does the same thing.

6. Not true.

Most brokers have the ability to offer futures trading in an IRA, but your account will need to be housed at an IRA custodian that the broker works with.

For example, Open ECry uses 3 custodian firms that can hold your IRA and trade futures at OEC. I believe Dorman uses Millenium.

All you have to do is ask.

7. Why do you want to open another ira future account? Anything bad about ib?

8. Magna

Magna Administrator

Not at all. My IRAs have been with IB for many years and I am very satisfied. For various reasons (unrelated to IB) I would now like to diversify my IRA holdings.

9. Opra

Opra

Good to know. Thanks. I will certainly find out