Future names

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by alesanti, Jul 17, 2006.

1. The current Nasdaq 100 emini is NQ U6.

#11     Jul 17, 2006
  2. alesanti

alesanti

Ok, NQ is the Nasdaq 100 e-mini. But the Nasdaq has an e-mini also. But as I am talking (or at least I think that) with people with more experience than me, I hope that you know that as it exists an index called Nasdaq, it should be a future of that index.

My only *minor* preocupation is that as far as you don't know the QCM, the QCM maybe not popular, I mean, without high liquidity. If I intend to day trade 1MM on that index alone, I think I could get into trouble.

#12     Jul 17, 2006
  3. :D

Understatement of the Year!

#13     Jul 17, 2006
  4. You gonna trade 1 million when you dont even know the symbols for what u are trading?

Please post your trades on this theard. I would really appreciate it. Thanks

#14     Jul 17, 2006
  5. Yes...your incorrect.

The CME website list several different types of Nasdaq products at the below link you visited...

http://www.cme.com/trading/prd/equity/index14237.html

On that left side column it list the followwing in order for Nasdaq...

* CME Nasdaq-100

* CME E-mini NASDAQ-100

* CME E-mini NASDAQ Biotechnology

* CME E-mini NASDAQ Composite

I'm going to assume your not interested in Biotechnology. Thus, lets eliminate that index.

I'm also going to assume your only interested in the E-minis and that elimates CME NASDAQ 100.

That leaves us with the following...

* CME E-mini NASDAQ-100

http://www.cme.com/trading/prd/overview_NQ705.html

* CME E-mini NASDAQ Composite

http://www.cme.com/trading/prd/overview_QN5028.html

For some reason with the above info for you to review at the site...

You selected CME E-mini NASDAQ Composite.

Regardless...here are the corresponding basic symbol codes and they may differ from one data provider to the next.

DJIA Index with YM mini-sized dow

Nasdaq-100 Index with NQ Emini

SP-500 Index with ES Emini

Russell 2000 Index with ER Emini

SP-100 with ???

I never heard of an Emini for the SP-100 except for the OEF Ishare (not an emini) on Amex.

Although not listed in your initial post for the following are other popular eminis...

SP-400 Index with ME Emini

EuroFX with EC Emini

Of the above futures eminis...the ones that tends to have different symbols from one data provider to the next are ER, ME and NQ.

Whomever sold you that system should have been nice enough to tell you specifically what data provider they were using and the symbols the system is applicable.

My point...you should be talking to him/her and not us...don't waste another minute here and call that person.

Big Hint: As a newbie you should stay away from the unpopular or low volumn eminis and concentrate on the popular and higher volume eminis.

Once you learn a little more about what your doing and learn a little more about the trading instruments your testing along with some actual small size trading...

Only then is it ok to play around with the less popular trading instruments.

Regardless, 1mm shouldn't even be crossing your mind unless you have a very large trading account and the system vendor is going to do a little hand-holding for you.

Mark

#15     Jul 17, 2006
  6. alesanti

alesanti

Hi Mark, thank you for your answer. This is the most meaningful answer I've get so far. Besides I want to clarify the thing a little bit more.

I intend to do some trial trading with a small volume before appling all the cash, but my hope is reaching the maximum volume available.
    This is why I am searching for the more liquid futures related to the market indexes.
    The system I have is very good predicting for several hours into the future the main indexes:
    DJIA-NASDAQ-Sp500-Sp100-Russell2000, and also the main overseas indexes (FTSE, CAC, DAX, AEX, SMI, MIBTEL, HSI, NIKKEI, STI, etc, etc).

I was playing around with this system for some time, feeding it with index data, and it performed well from a mathematical point of view.
    I am not a trader but a phycisist. Now I want to test the system with real money.
    As this system performs very well on nasdaq, but I cannot buy the index itself I thought to trade on the index futures, the e-minis. That is why I asked for the symbol of the Nasdaq Composite e-mini.

Finally I am a bit confused, I understood that:

DJIA Index with YM mini-sized dow
    Nasdaq-100 Index with NQ Emini
    SP-500 Index with ES Emini
    Russell 2000 Index with ER Emini

This is my main question now:
    The Nasdaq 30 composite with???? QCN???? There is no future for this index??? Or is it not a liquid instrument????

Thanks to you all that can shed some light onto this matter.

Ale

#16     Jul 17, 2006
  7. alesanti

alesanti

I insist. Anyone out there trading the Nasdaq 30 composite futures/e-minis? Which is its ticker symbol? Does it have liquidity?

#17     Jul 17, 2006
  8. Surdo

Surdo

#18     Jul 17, 2006
  9. Hi Ale,

Like Surdo said...where are you getting information about a Nasdaq 30 Composite???

I've never heard of it and I couldn't find anything about it via a quick Google search.

Best to just stick with the more liquid stuff...

YM, ER, ES, NQ, EC, DAX, FTSE100, CAC40, Hang Seng et cetera.

Heck, just a few of them will keep you busy every trading day.

Thus, no need to play around with the low volume or never heard of trading instruments.

Mark

#19     Jul 17, 2006
  10. alesanti

alesanti

#20     Jul 17, 2006