future firm protection

Discussion in 'Retail Brokers' started by kelly55, Sep 10, 2006.

1. kelly55

kelly55

Is the future firm have the safety net same as the SIPC (Securities Investor Protection Corporation) ?

2. kelly55

kelly55

future firm have protection same as stock firm?

3. kelly55

kelly55

anyone ?

4. No, not the same. Many types of futures accounts are not insured.

5. i never understood the reason for this; i mean, it's not that futs are unregulated mkts, innit.

6. Another scam is hardly any futures firms pay credit interest. So if you day trade 50k in your account you're losing almost $2500 a year in interest. As far as i know only ib who sweeps back and forth as any type of ins on futures

7. kelly55

kelly55

No safety net, and no interest, nothing good?

8. If you trade with a large established firm I think the risk is minimal. If you are that risk averse you probably should forget about trading because risk is the name of the game.

9. kelly55

kelly55

If you trade with a large established firm I think the risk is minimal,but the comission of big firm is expensive?

10. This is bad advice. The risk is not minimal. Some futures traders lost about one billion dollars in October 2005, when the largest (I think it was the largest) futures broker, Refco, went bankrupt. Lots of firms and their customers could be wiped out in a major market event. If you do want to take the risk of trading, but you don't want to risk losing some or all of your funds just because your broker goes bankrupt, then you can minimize this latter risk by doing research and using your brain. I made lots of postings on the subject, which I don't care to repeat, so you can read my past posts on the issue. Beware that the world is full of crooked brokers and industry organizations who will try to deceive you into thinking that the risks do not exist, or that they are smaller than in reality, or that you can't do anything to reduce them when you trade.

#10     Sep 10, 2006