Fundseeder - my experience

Discussion in 'Educational Resources' started by globalarbtrader, Mar 10, 2016.

1. Haha I was wondering the same thing. How would they ever make any real money taking so little risk!

#71     Apr 21, 2018
  2. Quiet1

Quiet1

Because they rank by FS score not returns by default. In the end you can adjust returns to taste by raising or lowering leverage. FS score, which seems to be based on the probabilistic Sharpe ratio, will be very very high for a bank account: no down days ever, very little variation.

#72     Apr 21, 2018
  3. Quiet1

Quiet1

It always come back to: what's the point of hedge fund like performance characteristics? It should always be about what makes the returns uncorrelated with other asset classes. If you correlate highly with cash or a stock index then why would anyone pay for that? It's not about high returns!!! It's about correlation.

#73     Apr 21, 2018
  4. The term "bank account like structure" implies very low returns with very low risk. Indeed, up until recently, the #1 rated FundSeeder account had 2 years of history, with an average annualized return of 2%. It appears that FS has changed the ranking formula, as this account is no longer in the top 100.

The reason to penalize such accounts is that, as the term "bank account" implies, you can get such return distribution with an FDIC-insured certificate of deposit at a bank. It does not make sense to invest in the capital markets (i.e. stocks, bonds, futures, options) if you are targeting a 2% annualized return.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2018
    #74     Apr 21, 2018
  5. Thanks Quiet1 and nonlinear5. Sounds like its just some funky FS ranking. I'm just saying that any account that just earns 2% annually IMO should natually not show up on any kind of reputable leaderboard, no need to penalize it further. But if FS has some rankings where it does show up as a leader I could see penalizing it to get it out of there. But in that case I would change the underlying ranking structure, sounds wack.

#75     Apr 21, 2018
  6. Ranking return distributions is a non-trivial exercise. There are some 100+ investment performance metrics in existence, but there is no consensus on which one best measures the "true skill" of a fund manager. The industry "standard" is the Sharpe ratio, which has numerous flaws. These flaws have been well researched and documented.

As Quiet1 mentioned, FundSeeder uses the so-called "probabilistic Sharpe ratio" as the base for their rankings. It's described in this paper:
    https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=1821643

My personal opinion is that the probabilistic Sharpe ratio has some good properties (such as adjusting the raw Sharpe by the length of the performance record), but I am less convinced with its use of skewness and kurtosis in evaluating the shape of the return distribution.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2018
    #76     Apr 21, 2018
  7. Nonsense

GAT

#77     Apr 21, 2018
    QuasWexExort likes this.
  8. He lives in the land of EliteTrader institutions. Clearly all the big names in the industry are "shunned" because they have 5%+ DD.

https://ctaperformance.com/wntn <<<--- If you want a dose of reality of some big names in CTA industry.

#78     Apr 21, 2018
  9. bln

bln

Index and direct equities are treated differently from investments in absolute return vehicles like CTA programs and hedge funds.

Pensions endowments like CALPERS, etc. Pension funds and endowments with tens of billions in AUM.

I see institutions that are looking for stable return of 7% annually from their Alternative Manager investment. They are happy with these returns.

I know hedge fund investors that would yank all their money out if the HF closed down -10% for the year. They would take their money and leave.

#79     Apr 21, 2018
  10. Sig

Sig

No, I don't think you do, and if you do they're not CALPERS size investors.

Large institutional investors invest in hedge funds for uncorrelated returns, not minimizing drawdown. As was pointed out to you, most of the hedge fund universe wouldn't exist if your assertions were true. I don't doubt that there's an institutional fund out there looking for a max drawdown of less than 10% and the corresponding very low risk adjusted rate of return that provides for part of their portfolio. However it's ignorance to claim that this is the role that the majority of institutional investors use hedge funds for, as it clearly is not.

#80     Apr 21, 2018