Funding a hedge fund...

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by praetorian2, May 26, 2002.

1. liltrdr

liltrdr

Maybe you should put together a serious prospectus. PM some of the big hitters on this board w/ it. An excel file of your returns, sharpe ratio, track record, resume all would help. At least that was I looked for anyway. An open invite to 10K members may not be the best way.

#11     May 26, 2002
  2. hi,

a "prime broker" is the hedge fund's principal brokerage account, not (normally) a funding source.

dave:cool:

#12     May 26, 2002
  3. I seriously doubt that established traders would want to invest with me when they could do it themselves. Something tells me that regardless of returns, traders prefer to trade their own funds for both the pleasure of it and the idea of making their own money. I left my email though if someone would want to contact me.

#13     May 26, 2002
  4. What is your style? Exactly what type of fund do you wish to create? In order to raise any type of serious capital you must go out and do the old road show and give presentations to "money people." Good luck and there is alot of money out there looking for not only a home, but also for great young talented money managers.

#14     May 26, 2002
  5. Not only will you have to put together on paper documenting your record, you will have to articulate a strategy to manage effectively 10 big ones to achieve superior returns.

Not knowing the amount you currently manage, I gather it is smaller than what you would seek for a hedge fund. I have some familiarity with your trading as we have been in the chatroom together. Savvy investors will want to be confident that you can translate the success you are currently enjoying into the larger dollar arena. Think about whether this would involve more strategies than just executing larger trade size.

I wish you all the best you this endeavor P.

#15     May 26, 2002
  6. trader99

trader99

What you said is yes and no. A prime broker is the hedge fund's prinicpal brokerage account. And it's not true that they don't provide funding, they do provide a source of funding through a division called "capital introduction" groups. Goldman Prime Brokerager has one of these divison. So does Deutsche Bank. Lehman. Merrill,etc. Bank of America.

A person I know is starting a hedge fund using Goldman's capital introduction group. :)

#16     May 27, 2002
  7. 50% will scare just as many; show them what you have done to date and let them extrapolate, the greed factor will set in when they do the math ...

#17     May 27, 2002
  8. No; a prime brokerage account is; a prime broker brings that and other services which may or may not include access to capital ...

#18     May 27, 2002
  9. Metoxx, I'm just afraid that if they look at past performance (which is no indication of future returns) that they'll assume that we can make them 300% a year. We can probably do that on a few hundred thousand, maybe even on up to a few million, but on an account larger than that, we'd hope to achieve just 50-100%. I would hate for them to be extremely disappointed just because they expected way more.
    ---------------------------------------------
    Just our of curiosity, do I need an s7 for a hedge fund?

#19     May 27, 2002
  10. p2,

no, you do not need a series 7 to manage a hedge fund.

best,

surf:cool:

#20     May 27, 2002