Fun Thread: Why I love my trading laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bad_Badness, Aug 20, 2020.

1. Bad_Badness

Bad_Badness

Yep super quiet. About the same as the monitor. You can tell it is on, but that is about it. I agree the fan can be annoying. That is one of the reason I got the gamming machine, the sucker has lots of heat sinks on the GPU and CPU. I also use a passive cooling platform. It helps the keyboard angle, and the passive cooling. I have never had TWS cause the fan go above the minimum fan speed (even with many "normal" programs running, video included. lol if I could make the fan go slower I would.

#21     Aug 21, 2020
    Laissez Faire likes this.
  2. Bad_Badness

Bad_Badness

Good story. I was in a lighting storm and the pole was hit. I thought, oh NO, power surge. When the UPS went off, the alarm was not the most calming sound while I closed my positions. The second time it happen the UPS was about a year old, and it lasted about 40 seconds. I was expecting at least 3 minutes. Got stuck, and got lucky 2 hours later!

Those AGM batteries are cool, expensive now, but very good. I got two of them on a boat. H gas floating around, or acid spills inside a house it not what I want! Heck my cell hotspot Li ion battery was getting swollen, as in about to leak-burn. It was pushing the cover off. Pulled that one out.

#22     Aug 21, 2020
  3. SunTrader

SunTrader

I've used UPS's reliably and successfully on all my pc rigs for 25+ years here in the "lightning capital of the world" South Florida without fail. And yes batteries have to be replaced. Cheaper (and better) in the long run to just upgrade. But that is true of any equipment.

#23     Aug 22, 2020
    Overnight likes this.
  4. YOU MENTIONED A Laptop with an i7 - WHICH ONE , HOW MANY CORES ? HYPER THREADING ? Ram ?

#24     Aug 22, 2020
  5. Bad_Badness

Bad_Badness

i7-8750H @ 2.2 GHz. This one: https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...-8750h-processor-9m-cache-up-to-4-10-ghz.html

48Gb of Ram. I had 32Gb, and had an extra 16Gb, so I threw it in. Even though, it is 3 simms, my understanding is that it will still Dual Channel, just to the two it is using.

All and all those specs above are WAY more than one needs for average retail people. If you are more serious, a remote VM might be the better way to go. Although I would still get a high quality build to connect. I personally, like local storage, local CPU, local data security and backup because I pay once and am done. I can do all those things well. I try to stay away from too many subscriptions and outsourcing but that is personal preference.

And, I don't like having employees too!

#25     Aug 25, 2020
  6. shatteredx

shatteredx

Nice laptop. MSI seems to offer the most competitive pricing recently for "gaming" laptops.

I will probably buy one once the Ampere series comes out.

#26     Aug 26, 2020
  7. Upgraded @ 1st to a Gaming Laptop for a month ( Fan Noise was so ANNOYING to me ) then traded it out for a Desktop last month- Went with 32GB Ram - DDR4-2933 with a Intel i-7 1070, https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...10700-processor-16m-cache-up-to-4-80-ghz.html with a WD Black SN750 M.2 PCIe SSD - ultra fast with reads speed up to 3,470 MB/s, barely breaks a sweat AT MARKET OPEN and runs my 2 monitors easily.

#27     Aug 26, 2020
  8. Bad_Badness

Bad_Badness

Desktop machines run so fast these days. In general, I think they run about+ 50% faster with the same chips series, desktop versus mobile. What is your boot time? I can't get mine below 11 seconds with 7.6 of that being BIOS. I run the Samsung 970 Pro as my system drive. I thought I should use the pro for more reliability. Although I have to say I have not had a single problem with any of the Samsung SSDs since they were introduced. I keep expecting them to fail.

Now if I could get a decent latency of under 150ms, I would be very happy for a retail person. Right now I am stuck at about 550ms. Which I assume means that by the time something happen and I do something, the minimum is 1100MS. So in reality, I am probably looking at 2000-3000 ms discretionary trading. Good thing I am not on satellite.

#28     Aug 28, 2020
  9. DevBru

DevBru

Why is boot time so important? My system probably boots in 30 seconds or so, my trading isn't going to improve when my system can boot in 10 seconds.

How come the latency is so high? I see you are from the USA, so you should be a lot closer the servers as i am since i am located in Europe, yet my latency is around 80 ms.

#29     Aug 28, 2020
  10. Overnight

Overnight

2000-3000 ms latency IS satellite stuff.

Assuming you are on cable broadband with cabled connection, have your lines checked by the cable company. You might need noise filters or something.

#30     Aug 28, 2020