Fun Thread: Why I love my trading laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bad_Badness, Aug 20, 2020.

1. destriero

destriero

Yeah, I love to geek-out on hardware. I've got a System76 rig as well as a (2019) Mac Pro and a 2020 iMac Pro.

#11     Aug 20, 2020
    Bad_Badness and eternaldelight like this.
  2. Bad_Badness

Bad_Badness

It is sort of interesting people think a desktop is not overkill but a powerful laptop is. In any case, I think the best part is not dealing with maintaining a backup power supply and redundant internet connection. Those UPS things are huge and are an added cost and they barley run the machine, monitor and router by the time you need it and the battery has degraded.

But the bottom line is, it is just equipment. How you use it is what matters.

#12     Aug 20, 2020
  3. Overnight

Overnight

That's what she said.

#13     Aug 20, 2020
    DarthSidious likes this.
  4. destriero

destriero

They aren't there to run the machine for any length of time... they are there to allow you to safely save your data and shut down. That's why they alarm when they activate. Kind of silly to run a laptop to avoid the need to buy a UPS for a desktop.

#14     Aug 20, 2020
    Overnight and SunTrader like this.
  5. Nobert

Nobert

Since it's a fun tread, - whenever i open my laptop, the mind is like :
    timestamped

#15     Aug 20, 2020
    Leander S and Bad_Badness like this.
  6. vanzandt

vanzandt

Fwiw... I laid out a simple blueprint for a non-interruptible power supply that you can build yourself tomorrow (assuming you have AMZN Prime) for $250.

It'll last all day. Plug your router into it too.

https://elitetrader.com/et/threads/es-journal-2019-2020.328086/page-2340#post-5097927

#16     Aug 20, 2020
    Bad_Badness likes this.
  7. destriero

destriero

Yeah, that's pretty ghetto. AC -> charger -> battery -> inverter -> desktop and router. That's a lot of stuff lying around. I have UPS on everything but mostly to protect the components. The power quality is not going to be great when powering this gear for hours.

It's best as a line conditioner during brown/blackouts but I think I'd go to my phone as backup and shut everything down while using say an APC or cyberpower UPS.

#17     Aug 20, 2020
    Bad_Badness likes this.
  8. Is it quiet? Can you run it 24/7 without any issues? Heating?

My main computer is also a high end Dell gaming laptop. So far, it works really well for what I'm doing. I've considered replacing it with a desktop solution, but being semi-mobile, I really favor having a laptop.

The fan can get annoying at times. It's super quiet right now, but can make some noise at times.

#18     Aug 21, 2020
  9. themickey

themickey

I sit mine on perforated baking trays, acts as heat sink.
    20200821_165855.jpg

#19     Aug 21, 2020
  10. vanzandt

vanzandt

Lol, it sounds worse than it is. It'll all fit in one cabinet and you'll never see it. That's why you use the deep-cycle marine battery, there's no H2SO4 gas given off. I never had the need to build one really, for me there's always the phone if I have to close a trade fast... of course I keep things simple in the trading account. 2 open positions tops for my little brain. All these years its only happened once, I had an open TSLA long position on a Friday afternoon (it was bouncing like crazy) and some idiot kid took out a utility pole down the street. I was freaking out for about 2 minutes. I actually came out ok on the trade, but it was not one I was happy being blind to in the time it took to see where I was at.

#20     Aug 21, 2020