Fully Automated Trading Journal - $50k per month goal

Discussion in 'Journals' started by frostengine, Jan 3, 2021.

1. When I say I am allocating 250k of the account towards the strategy - its about margin tie up. The 20% return would be against that margin, however, that is only possible due to the fact that I have other positions in this account offsetting the required margin due to using portfolio margin. This is a highly levered strategy- 250k would not be sufficient to trade it in an account by itself. Without the far out the money puts held in this account, I would be at a very high risk of ruin.

#11     Jan 3, 2021
  2. gkishot

gkishot

It's still 20% monthly return, whether you leverage 250k or not.

#12     Jan 3, 2021
  3. fan27

fan27

He is trading this strategy within the context of a 735k account, so a 50k return would be 6.8%. But that is not really accurate, because you would have to factor the cost of the puts mentioned earlier.

#13     Jan 3, 2021
  4. Thanks for the feedback.

Why would you not consider going pure delta01 then? You indicated you have a large enough account. Your total transaction costs would most likely be significantly lower than doing it through options...

#14     Jan 3, 2021
  5. sef88

sef88

Wow 6.8% monthly returns at what volatility.

With sharpe of 1, 81.6% volatility
    With sharpe of 2, 40.8% volatility
    With sharpe of 3, 27.2% volatility
    With sharpe of 4, 20.4% volatility

Strategy is tenable with sharpe of 3 and 4. Else, it would be a crazy volatile strategy.

#15     Jan 3, 2021
  6. Good luck frosty - looking forward to see your progress learnings and profits

#16     Jan 3, 2021
  7. Ambitous! Following this with great interest.

Roughly how much per year does the OTM hedge cost you (as a % of capital allocated to this strategy?)

GAT

#17     Jan 4, 2021
    .sigma and fan27 like this.
  8. fan27

fan27

@frostengine, could you give an overview of how you structure your OTM hedge?

#18     Jan 4, 2021
  9. The OTM hedge are generally bought 90 days out. At any given time, I like to have 3 to 5x the number of put contracts for each 100 shares. For example, lets say in my account I have 1000 shares of SPY and I am short 4 puts. That means I need protection for 1400 shares. So I will own around 40 to 70 far OTM puts. This allows me to sleep very well at night knowing if I woke up to a black swan - my account value generally increases very nicely irrespective of what all my strategies are currently holding.

I end up paying about 10% of my account value each year to maintain this hedge. I am not counting this hedge against this strategy - other strategies pay for the hedge over the course of the year (outside the scope of this strategy). That is just how this overall account is protected - and a by product means this strategy is also protected.

#19     Jan 4, 2021
    shuraver, fan27 and ffs1001 like this.
  10. As fate would have it - today is a very bearish day so far, resulting in several trades being stopped out. I am not overly concerned with those trades though, I am spending most of my time analyzing the execution engine - making sure thing are behaving as expected. So far things look good.

#20     Jan 4, 2021