Fully Automated Stocks Trading

Discussion in 'Journals' started by ValeryN, Jun 14, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ValeryN

ValeryN

Got email today from my execution software saying Broker is Down at 9:30 EST... I seriously thought market hit a circuit-breaker at the open. Connection auto-recovered after 1 minute but still.

Was surprised to see SPY not doing anything too crazy and volatility even slightly lower around the open. IB is normally very stable. Maybe a very unusual volume was transacted.. Last time I got disconnects at the open were Feb/March 2020.

#361     Mar 4, 2021
    shuraver likes this.
  2. Bigchazza

Bigchazza

So when this happens do you stop everything? I would! I am wondering if running an automated system is as attention-consuming as sitting in front of a sreen all day look at charts.

#362     Mar 4, 2021
  3. ValeryN

ValeryN

On most days I only look at 1 thing generated 2 hours after the close. Takes ~30 secs. It is not required, just a good hygiene.

When broker or software is down, by the time I will see notification, normally, a pre-defined auto recovery routine kicks in and it is solved. Which happened in this case.

In regards to stopping - in my case, there is more danger when my software is NOT running :D
    A separate software runs to make sure that never happens.
    And yet another software runs to monitor the later one.

Val

#363     Mar 4, 2021
    TimtheEnchanter likes this.
  4. Bigchazza

Bigchazza

Got you Val. I've been hacking away at my own setup for a while now and I'm aware how all-comsuming it can be... The goal is total automation so you can go away and do what you want and your $ is being put to work, but is it that easy to turn away from it? Having built such an amazing thing totally from scratch, all your own work, it's like an extension of yourself. Or a clone! Is it ever possible to forget about it for long? I'm sure this is the plot of a scifi movie...

#364     Mar 5, 2021
  5. ValeryN

ValeryN

Depends how long is long.

An yes, this is not easy at all.

Generally it helps to have good reasons not to be involved.

#365     Mar 5, 2021
    Bigchazza likes this.
  6. ValeryN

ValeryN

Before taking automation any further I always tried to make a business case for it. And unless I had a good idea of how much I will make extra or save vs time spent, in general, I won't do it.

Occasionally I failed at that and just did things for fun.

Automation has many milestones on a way. Not all of them are worth it for everyone. Depends on crurcuimstances, strategies, profit potential and cost of getting there.

#366     Mar 5, 2021
    Bigchazza likes this.
  7. could you post the equity return curve of your automation ?

#367     Mar 5, 2021
  8. ValeryN

ValeryN

upload_2021-3-6_6-59-32.png

+monthly after expenses including 2020 crash.

upload_2021-3-6_7-4-22.png

Val

#368     Mar 6, 2021
    guru and trend2009 like this.
  9. #369     Mar 6, 2021
  10. ValeryN

ValeryN

Under 500k is optimal
    0.5-2mil ok with some changes
    >5mil with more changes and increasingly more humble Risk/Return profile

#370     Mar 6, 2021
Thread Status: