Fully automated futures trading

Discussion in 'Journals' started by globalarbtrader, Feb 11, 2015.

1. FCT

FCT

GAT, any performance update scheduled? Eager to see how you've done year-to-date.
    Another question: it seems you're short VIX for its risk premium by default. Aren't you worried about spikes in low-vol enrvironments? And can the mean-reversion VIX be captured by trading futures? Thanks a bunch, it's great to have someone around on ET with actual knowledge of systematic trading.

#691     Mar 29, 2017
  2. truetype

truetype

All CTAs are in the machine-learning buzzword-bingo game now, on a belief it's what clients want to hear. But it is notable the BBG article gave AHL as much airtime as Winton. Usually David Harding is the media go-to for a soundbite.

#692     Mar 29, 2017
    marketsurfer likes this.
  3. ernie C. from QTS use to post here often before the trolls drove him away---

#693     Mar 29, 2017
  4. I'll be doing a full year review on my blog to cover the entire UK tax year, probably in a couple of weeks or so.

I have a trend following and carry system on VIX which should help reduce my position when vol spikes.

What precisely do you mean by "the mean reversion in VIX"?

GAT

#694     Mar 30, 2017
  5. A thick skin and the ignore button are your best friends on here, that's for sure

GAT

#695     Mar 30, 2017
    marketsurfer likes this.
  6. isotope1

isotope1

How far out do you trade VIX? I'm a little concerned that a repeat of the 2007 spike could catch me unaware. Is that something I need to worry about?

[​IMG]
    (VIX, panama stitch, traded 3 months out)

#696     Mar 30, 2017
  7. I'm currently in May and rolling to June.

GAT

#697     Mar 30, 2017
  8. ... sure, which is why you need to diversify over as many instruments as possible.

GAT

#698     Mar 30, 2017
    lovethetrade likes this.
  9. FCT

FCT

I meant that the VIX (spot) index is stronly mean-reverting. Is that a property that can be exploited trading futures?

#699     Mar 30, 2017
  10. Not exactly because you can't "own" VIX spot. Owning front VIX will be the closest match but then that has other nasty properties (the largest skew and kurtosis, compared to owning further out months).

As an aside is isn't as easy to make money on a mean reverting index as you might think if you glance at a chart (which of course involves forward information) and say "oh looky it always comes back to a level of 15". Nevertheless at first glance it looks like you could probably make some dough trading front VIX on a mean reverting basis. I wouldn't do it myself because I'm not keen on signals that only work on one market (or maybe two, eurostoxx vol).

GAT

#700     Mar 30, 2017