Fully automated futures trading

Discussion in 'Journals' started by globalarbtrader, Feb 11, 2015.

1. isotope1

isotope1

Roughly 25% carry the rest tf, with heavier weighting on slow ewmac. It’s static through time.
    About 25 instruments here, although only one equity index (Nasdaq)

#1511     Feb 21, 2018
  2. Elder

Elder

Not necessarily. There are those in the market who think if inflation reignites then the dollar will tank.....in which case you might worry about the opposite scenario where both move against you. I guess you can’t away from the premise that what you are doing relies on the extent of your belief in a fully automated system.

#1512     Feb 21, 2018
  3. isotope1

isotope1

I think my main issue is that it looks diversified when in fact it isn’t. I think the whole thing is driven by these factors:

* real gdp growth (indexes)
    * interest rates (bonds, indexes)
    * inflation (commodities, inflation linked bonds)

#1513     Feb 21, 2018
  4. My diversification concern is the following: Stocks and bonds are negatively correlated. Great, so that means diversification. But, if stocks are trending up, then my system will be long stocks. So, that means bonds will probably be trending down, so I will be short bonds. Aren't I losing a lot of the diversification benefit by doing this? If stocks suddenly crash, that means bonds will probably rally and I'll get a double whammy loss on both instruments. What do you guys think?

#1514     Feb 21, 2018
  5. Are there no non-economic factors that have an influence? For example government policies of one region/country versus other regions/countries? I don't know the answer, but see that you only mention purely economic factors.

#1515     Feb 21, 2018
  6. I think this can be answered by looking a bit more in detail about what correlation actually means. If instrument A and B have a correlation of +1 (i.e. +100%) it means that if A goes up, B goes up in 100% of the cases. If A and B have a correlation of 0.5 (i.e. 50%) it means that if A goes up, B goes up in 50% of the cases. In the other 50% of cases does it not follow A.
    Equities and bonds do have a negative correlation, but it is not -100%.

#1516     Feb 21, 2018
  7. srinir

srinir

Stocks and bonds are not negatively correlated. Correlation is closer to zero. It is negatively correlated during times of extreme stress.

snap1.PNG

#1517     Feb 21, 2018
  8. #1518     Feb 21, 2018
  9. truetype

truetype

#1519     Feb 21, 2018
  10. Correct. Could do it on a rolling basis of course

GAT

#1520     Feb 21, 2018