Fully automated futures trading

Discussion in 'Journals' started by globalarbtrader, Feb 11, 2015.

1. gkishot

gkishot

Hmm. Why you say so?

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
    #1111     Nov 13, 2017
  2. From a data perspective it is a market that provides a diversification benefit, having a low correlation to most other markets, and has a lot of volatility. Liquidity may be an issue and that is what I will be looking out for.

What is the major reservation you have on Bitcoin as it enters regulated markets like the CME?

#1112     Nov 13, 2017
  3. It will take a while for the liquidity to be obvious, and on a practical level I'd need about a year of price data to warm up my system. I'd also need to investigate things like how the settlement process works.

The question then will be whether it's better to add BTC or vol futures (which I've taken out of my system due to margin concerns). I'd prefer vol futures, but if there are margin advantages of BTC then I wouldn't rule them out. However I'd be surprised if BTC is a margin friendly product, given the volatility!

GAT

#1113     Nov 13, 2017
  4. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

GAT: can I ask you a basic question about trend following CTA's. What are they profiting from? Are they looking for situations where someone is buying a commodity and they jump on the bandwagon? Or is it to harvest some kind of consistent risk premium?

I read a lot about managing risk and targeting volatility but not a lot on idea generation (are you buying oil or selling it).

#1114     Nov 13, 2017
  5. This is a matter of opinion. My opinion, they're harvesting risk premia.

GAT

#1115     Nov 13, 2017
  6. isotope1

isotope1

Whether you are buying or selling it depends on the moving average crossover of the recent price data. Target volatility tells you how much to buy, based upon how volatile you want your portfolio to be.

#1116     Nov 13, 2017
  7. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

I view harvesting risk premia as trading something that isn't trading at its fair value because of the inherent risk averseness everyone has. Is that the same definition of risk premia you are using here?

#1117     Nov 13, 2017
  8. Yes

GAT

#1118     Nov 13, 2017
  9. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

What is the fair value you are trading against?

Like in options it's implied vs realized. Or in risk arb its the spread between now and the final deal price.

#1119     Nov 13, 2017
  10. I don't think you can or should or need to calculate the 'fair value' when it comes to harvesting risk premia.

GAT

#1120     Nov 13, 2017