Fulltime trading weird experience

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by innovest_11, Sep 6, 2011.

1. dv4632

dv4632

Actually, I didn't notice that you hadn't told him you're a trader. In that case you're probably over reacting, he probably thinks you lost your job.

But as to the stuff I said, it still stands that I've heard many stories of people who lost friends after finding some success in life.

#11     Sep 7, 2011
  2. My neighbor are all retired people in their 60s, I'm just in my early 40s, so i didn't say i'm retired, just in case they think i relying on my spouse who is working

The only days when i feel good to move around neighborhood is when my spouse is around when she's on leave, I have company rather than alone.

And when the day happened to be losing money, the feeling sucks, the thought always strike me: "did i make the right move going fulltime?", though i know for sure, losses is bound to happen, just have to do some risk/account management

#12     Sep 7, 2011
  3. Another thing is, always look the part of a sensible businessman

#1 mininum a polo shirt, and some nice custom fitted slacks and at a basic rockport++ shoes. you walk around with shorts and flipflops, tellin people you work as an investment manager, your image gives off a smell of unemployed surfer boy.

#2 Every single day, my day consists of drinkin, eating, working out, and dating women. I get the same question almost every single day, how come you have all this free time, I'm usually dressed mininum business casual, I always have very impressed responses when I say I manage money. the look, the style, the personality, the free time, fits the part.

#3 Maintain a smile when you say it, like you are confident, if you are stutterin words out, you are a broke surferboy, if you say it with a smile and confidence, that means you are MONEY. plain and simple. Girls suck my cock after they hear it.

=========
    Example of good conversations

So what do you do John?
    Answer: I manage money *grin*
    Oh really, how is that working out?
    Answer: Can't complain, can't complain.. *bigger smile*

WRONG conversation:
    So what do you do John?
    Answer: I'm a trader umm, I provide liquitiy on the NYSE markets...
    Oh really? So whats providing liquidity?
    Answer: I buy and sell on the bid and ask, I try to find arbitage betweeen gold and gold futures.
    Does that make money?
    Answer: hmm... well... Sometimes it makes money sometimes it don't, Got to manage risk you know?
    So you are basically a daytrader right?
    Answer: umm yes I guess.

Idiot responses = detailed responses .

#13     Sep 7, 2011
  4. Very good advice :) guess i need to spend some money to spice up my image

#14     Sep 7, 2011
  5. My retired neighbors shutup when I joined a band and started playing music at parties and restaurants. It's fun too, I get to meet lots of people and party. I actually get paid, I mean I make money doing this. It's bizarre. I get lonely being a trader sometimes. I used to tell neighbors that I have a computer business (it's true) but that did not shut them up. When I tell them I'm a musician then they shutup. Go figure.

#15     Sep 7, 2011
  6. interesting...

It seems like universal human nature, doesn't matter what culture we live in, we need to shut people's mouth.

#16     Sep 7, 2011
  7. I def agree with you. You have to definitely look the part, to come off as successful, you have look and smell like success, maybe a nice watch, nice clothes, a nice car. That will shut them up, they wont even ask, they will just know that whatever this guy is doing is working, they may even start asking how to be a part of it. This is assuming your part of the 5% that has made it of course, if you haven't yet, then no point even saying what you do i don't think, or i guess you can fake it until you make it.

#17     Sep 7, 2011
  8. m22au

m22au

Why devote so much time and worry to what other people think of you?

#18     Sep 7, 2011
  9. Mr_You

Mr_You

Tell people you are "semi-retired". Which usually means you only work part-time. If you are young they will either be impressed or not believe you, heh! Even older people often work part-time jobs just to stay busy and feel productive.

In your spare time you could research potential businesses you might be passionate about starting. I emphasize passion because it won't be successful if your heart is not into it. This research can be fun and take years just to find one good idea with potential and then take a couple years to evolve the business model. After you have these businesses, instead of stating you're semi-retired just tell people you own a few businesses.

#19     Sep 7, 2011
  10. I don't understand these posts. Why aren't you looking for new edges in the afternoons?

#20     Sep 7, 2011