Fulltime trader loner?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by innovest_11, May 25, 2013.

1. Agree. Especially to the last 2 sentences.

#41     May 26, 2013
  2. southall

southall

Being a profitable pit trader back in the day must of been awesome.

Other traders to share the up ands and downs with and to celebrate with after a good day.

At home trading: after a good day maybe i take the wife and kids out for a nice meal which is cool too, but not quite the same if you really want is too enjoy a few drinks. Your regular drinking buddies probably wont be available on such short notice, so it has to wait until the weekend.

#42     May 26, 2013
  3. it can go both ways, the only fulltime successful trader I know only trades stocks and bonds, and has always had an office in his home, but he married a very conservative woman and lives life exactly the way she thinks it should be lived. They take a vacation every year wherever she thinks would be good. Never misses a family function. He's really quite passive when it comes to sociability, drives the kind of car she thinks is appropriate, lives in the kind of house and neighborhood she thinks is appropriate.

I can call her at anytime and she will schedule an oldtime reunion, where she will let him go out and meet me at the bar.

We get together about every five years.

Man, over the years, the kind of positions he has on are just staggering

me, on the other hand, is and always have been a small time hermit, even when I was married I was living alone

when anybody asks, the stock answer is, "I am involved in the financial markets."

the funny thing is, one time I had a really successful completed forex trade, and went to the bar to celebrate. I posted about it here on ET. And there I am out in the stix at this little bar, just trying to be normal, and the lady that sat down next to me was an RIA from Cincinnati, and she was there because she had just taken a large position in BAC, and it wasn't working out too well.

#43     May 26, 2013
  4. jnbadger

jnbadger

Full time manual trading scares the shit out of me. It was effecting health and my relationships in a very bad way. Unfortunately, I had a solid 10 years in before I realized this.

Automation is a different story altogether. Trading doesn't have to be destructive. Just find your path. But finding that path can be excruciating. Been there.

#44     May 26, 2013
  5. there was a time recently, when my forex trading became so mechanical, that I inquired about automating

but everytime I think I have it figured out, something new comes along

and only the human mind is quick enough to realize it

wouldn't it be nice if you could check your computer print outs each morning and adjust?

then you could be a complete loner

#45     May 26, 2013
  6. ofthomas

ofthomas

+1 ... like everything in life... :)

#46     May 26, 2013
  7. well, except, if you have tried everything else in life, and you find the only thing you truly enjoy is trading

#47     May 26, 2013
  8. was watching that movie "The Last Samurai" last night

these people created a very peaceful life

they never got involved

their only purpose in life was to fight

they really didn't give a shit if they won or lost

#48     May 26, 2013
  9. you really have to wonder if some thinking wife said, "You know old man, you aint getting any younger, and it is just a matter of time before you blow up (get killed), perhaps maybe we should invest a little for our old age?

#49     May 26, 2013
  10. Yo OT, I figured it would just be a matter of time before you joined this discussion.

Leave the wives and ladies out of it. Complicates things too much.

#50     May 26, 2013