Full-time living in an RV and commuting to NYC

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by lolatency, Feb 8, 2009.

1. He's laughing at madoff investors and my name has to do with the fact that my trading strats depend on sub-5ms latencies.

Pure coincidence.

#41     Feb 8, 2009
  2. i hear you. i haven't been canned (tho i can see it coming maybe 1-3 years down the road depending on how things shape).

it's good to be a part of the real economy. i never would have considered a move to the midwest until recently, but there ARE businesses making money. sounds like you're in energy

the squeaky accent is very endearing

#42     Feb 8, 2009
  3. scd

scd

diesel engines are 40% more effecient... repair cost are expensive but are required far less often(they don't need tune ups)... change the oil on time and they're happy... if you buy a truck to pull w/,a gasser is going to give you maybe 8 miles to the gallon... i wish all my vehicles were diesel...

#43     Feb 8, 2009
  4. do you have strategies that you can trade from the RV, or are you planning on doing no trading from the RV?

#44     Feb 8, 2009
  5. There's a few towns in the midwest giving away land if you commit to building there. Osborne, KS is one of them. They have high speed net. However, the jobs page on their web site is a bit lacking. (The web site is like 'discover osborne' or something. Check it out.)

If you're going to start a business though, and the business is not dependent on labor, these towns are options. Kansas, in my humble opinion, is a very beautiful pancake of a state. The openness is enough to give a New Yorker from Manhattan a mental high.

#45     Feb 8, 2009
  6. :D

This thread has crossed over into the paranoia realm. :eek:

#46     Feb 8, 2009
  7. new$

new$

8. I'll likely colo my trade boxes in a datacenter and remote in to address any issues. I expect this to work within reason.

#48     Feb 8, 2009
  9. T_Jensen

T_Jensen

I have to second the recommendation to live on a boat, but make it a sailboat. That way, if the US truly goes to hell, as many think it might, or if peak oil is for real, you can sail away under wind power alone- no need for fossil fuels.

Plus, sailboat life is the best. I stayed on a friend's sailboat in Seattle on and off for a couple years and I still miss those days! The people area great- you'll have instant barbeque and drinking friends. Plus, where else can you get waterfront with a city view for less than a grand a month?

#49     Feb 9, 2009
  10. BSAM

BSAM

I know nothing about sailboats. How is your grey water and black water disposed of? I assume the marinas are set up for this?

#50     Feb 9, 2009