Full-time living in an RV and commuting to NYC

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by lolatency, Feb 8, 2009.

1. I lived in the ghetto for a year and a half, trying to save money.

Let me just say this: there's a damn good reason there's a premium worked into the rent for not living in the ghetto. Ghetto people have ghetto problems, and it's worth every penny to get away from it.

On the flip side, if I can rent a lot to drop an RV into that isn't a park or something, I think I'd come out ahead. Hell, I'd even buy an acre in the middle of nowhere and drive in. My plan is to buy one of those RVs that has a truck instead of its own engine. Then drop the trailer part off, and use the truck coming back and forth to the city. If I get laid off, bam, I get the RV, truck, and move into the middle of nowhere, except to come back to the city for job interviews.

#11     Feb 8, 2009
  2. mrmoose

mrmoose

on a side note the fact that your girl is at all ok with this means you got a keeper.

#12     Feb 8, 2009
  3. interesting idea but the $900/month lot fee sounds like a ripoff. isn't there a cheaper way to park an RV?

#13     Feb 8, 2009
  4. That's what I've been wondering. I'm going to call a few parks up on Monday, and see if they also have limits on how long I can stay. If I can stay in the lot year round, then I'm definitely going to switch to an RV.

I used to own a great condo in LA. Ever since I switched back to renting, I've been missing the whole "owning my own place" thing. I had to sell, because I saw the collapse coming from a mile away, but I still want to own my own dwelling, even if it is just an RV. I got angry with LA because they raised my property taxes. I want to avoid paying property taxes, period. (Or, at the very lease, minimize them completely.) I hate property taxes more than I hate living in the ghetto.

Owning a home really made me feel better. As a renter, I just feel like I have no rights in my own space. Landlords can come through, show other people, no security, etc. In my own home, I could hide guns, gold, safes, lock the door with 50 bolts, etc.

#14     Feb 8, 2009
  5. mrmoose

mrmoose

are their parks anywhere near NYC?

#15     Feb 8, 2009
  6. you better rent an rv for 2-4 weeks first before you get any ideas... i am willing to bet that rv living is not what it is cracked up to be... then if you are still gung ho i got a nice big old rv that i can sell you .... my man i been down the road you think is so great already

#16     Feb 8, 2009
  7. What are the drawbacks? Tell me all the worst stories up front, don't hold back.

#17     Feb 8, 2009
  8. CET

CET

In these economic times you might find someone that would let you park on their property or at their house for say $500 cash a month. Run an ad and see what happens.

#18     Feb 8, 2009

9. It's refreshing to see someone from NYC who is proactive in planning for what is ahead. NYC is going to end up like Detroit within 5 years or less. Most of those banking jobs will never come back, they shouldn't have been created in the first place.

Now for the RV. Get a diesel that will also run on bio-diesel. If you buy raw land, buy adjoining a national forest, you'll have access to game, water and fish. Get a trailer hitch and a used compact car to drive to the nearest mass transit to get to NYC. If the land you buy is properly zoned and in a summer tourist area, you can generate good income by developing your own RV park.

Cutting expenses and living from a RV has been done before. You may get some ideas from this blog. The rest of the blog makes for a wonderful read also. http://downtheroad.org/Publishing/About_Us.htm

#19     Feb 8, 2009
  10. My dad said that the diesel engine maintenance costs would screw me over, over the long run. Whereas, a hitched RV would have no such problems and would be usable for much longer. How much weight should I put into this fact?

#20     Feb 8, 2009