Full-time living in an RV and commuting to NYC

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by lolatency, Feb 8, 2009.

1. Please, don't laugh. I am serious. How practical is this plan?

I live on the Upper West Side now, $1750/month in rent. I have about 300 sq. ft, on the first floor. My apartment does in fact have bars all over the windows. I was thinking that, in the summer, I could pick up an RV for ~10k, then move out it out to upstate or jersey and commute to work. Some of these RVs have more sq. footage than I have now. My girlfriend, who I will probably marry in the next 2-3 years, seems to be ok with the idea. I sold her on the idea that if everything went to hell, it's better to have a roof over our heads than be broke and not have money for rent. I also do NOT want to be subject to property taxes going up for all the districts that are losing money.

The idea is that if I get laid off, I can still pay off the 20k -40k RV and have a home through the worst depression ever, and possibly even pull my RV out to far cheaper areas until I find another job.

I bought a few books on living in RVs and I'm trying to pick up a cheap RV from the people who are in crisis.

The only issue I have resolving is: where can I park an RV outside of New York City and still have a commute that's under 90min tops? Supposedly, there's an RV park at liberty harbor where the house-boat people live. I'm just wondering if they'll take me full time. I'd pay the $900 a month lot fee or whatever -- just until I got laid off.

I'm opening up this idea for criticism to the ET community. How practical is this?

2. get a sailboat. NYC looks better from the water anyway (especially as it is getting smaller behind you when you sail away). RVs are not efficient on fuel obviously. You can go 2000 miles on a sailboat burning practically no fuel!!

3. 377OHMS

377OHMS

A couple of my friends have picked up amazing deals on sailboats and yachts. Its a workable idea to live on one if you don't have tons of stuff.

4. this is great.. a real life hill billy taking up desk space in NYC.

this is the old long strangle option..
    i like it BUT>>>

I don't see how you can save money.. Ive seen broke people commuting from Pennsylvania, move to the Bronx or something! Have you though about insurance for the rig and gas?

you could park at a PATH station in NJ.

admit it dude your dreams of being the next gekko is gonna be on hold for the good minute here.. hold on

5. take the rv and get the hell out of new york while you are young enough to do it.

6. I think if you run the numbers the RV will cost the same or even more than your 1750 rent. You have:

1. Gas - 200-400/mo
    2. Train/subway monthly pass 300-500/mo
    3. Lot fee 900-1100/mo
    4. RV insurance month 200/mo
    5. Making sure you have clean water 100/mo
    6. etc...

and not to mention the social impact, like living in a RV park with shady people.

7. Living on a boat has other costs but if done right it is a fairly inexpensive and versatile lifestyle. Moving is easy too!

You can also install a small windmill on it to keep your battery charged without using shore power and so you don't have to run your engine to recharge.

All in all, the people in the sailing community are nice and learn to get by on much less than an average person spends on land. Not a bad deal...

8. lwlee

lwlee

Boat? I get the feeling the water rights to "park" near the city will be prohibitive. Otherwise I would think the area would be littered with boats.

9. No, you have to pay a dock fee at a marina normally. It is usually a lot cheaper than an apartment though but all depends on the length of your boat. Some cities have designated anchorages where it is free but only in certain areas and they are usually not very convenient. You would want to be a dock somewhere with other people rather than out on an anchor somewhere in the middle of nowhere. Also, a lot of marinas give you water, cable and wifi internet included so you save money there also.

10. Problem is, if you lose your job, you can't pay that dock fee. If you lose your job with an RV, you can go bounce around on federal land, 14 days at a time.

#10     Feb 8, 2009