Fuel tax could be replaced with by-the-mile road tax

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Tom B, Jul 1, 2009.

1. Tom B

Tom B

McClatchy Washington Bureau
    Print This Article Print This Article

Posted on Wed, Jul. 01, 2009

Fuel tax could be replaced with by-the-mile road tax
    Steve Everly | The Kansas City Star

The year is 2020 and the gasoline tax is history. In its place you get a monthly tax bill based on each mile you drove — tracked by a Global Positioning System device in your car and uploaded to a billing center.

What once was science fiction is being field-tested by the University of Iowa to iron out the wrinkles should a by-the-mile road tax ever be enacted.

Besides the technological advances making such a tax possible, the idea is getting a hard push from a growing number of transportation experts and officials. That is because the traditional by-the-gallon fuel tax, struggling to keep up with road building and maintenance demands, could fall even farther behind as vehicles' gas mileage rises and more alternative-fuel vehicles come on line.

The idea of shifting to a by-the-mile tax has been discussed for years, but it now appears to be getting more serious attention. A federal commission, after a two-year study, concluded earlier this year that the road tax was the "best path forward" to keep revenues flowing to highway and transportation projects, and could be an important new tool to help manage traffic and relieve congestion.

The decision by the 15-member National Surface Transportation Infrastructure Financing Commission was unanimous, which surprised Robert Atkinson, the group's chairman. But he said it became clear as the commission's work progressed that a road tax on miles traveled was the best option.

"If you're committed to the system being improved then it was a no-brainer," he said.

http://www.mcclatchydc.com/nation/v-print/story/71078.html

2. morganist

morganist Guest

it's like a robotic turnpike trust.

also is that also what the government wants so they know where you are all the time?

3. pspr

pspr

I don't like this at all. Next they'll want to put a chip in our heads and level a tax for living and keep a database on everything we do.

4. morganist

morganist Guest

there is already a tax for living it's called income tax, council tax, value added tax, fuel tax.

have you ever seen popeye the film in 1980 odd. when there was a tax collector who just made up taxes and took everything away the world is getting like that.

5. "1 for you, 19 for me"... The Tax Man (Beatles)

6. That would pretty much destroy interstate travel regarding vacations. Say goodbye to places like Yellowstone, etc.

7. aegis

aegis

Of course.

A gas tax would essentially accomplish the same thing.

I wonder what politician's brother-in-law is going to get the contract for this.

8. Tom B

Tom B

The big brother aspect of the tax is the worst part. Plus, if you engage in good habits like using less gas, you also get penalized.

9. Ma already has a chip on her left temporal lobe. She tells me this every time I talk to her. Her stock picking is not as good as it used to be, so don't count on any "savant" chips being installed.

10. Why do they need to track your movements? Can't they just check your odometer when you pay your registration each year?

#10     Jul 1, 2009