FS: Server/Virtual Machines (Monthly)

Discussion in 'Trading' started by WinstonTJ, Apr 16, 2012.

1. Starting at $40/month for a 120GB dual-core 2.66ghz x86 Linux OS or $50/month for a 120GB dual-core 2.66ghz x86 MSFT OS.

Starting at $80/month for a 200GB 2.66ghz quad-core with 8gb RAM and Linux OS or $90/month for a 200GB 2.66ghz quad-core with 8gb RAM and MSFT OS.

If you leave I'll mail you your VMDK files (on a HDD you pay for) or you can export/destroy them yourself.

Hosted in lower manhattan inside the homeland security barriers so I can't promise 99.999% up-time because the datacenter isn't allowed to have diesel generators - but if I go down so does the NYSE floor.

If anyone needs an SLA I have other options. I also have cheaper options that are outside NYC and non-SLA (very close to IB).

2. > Hosted in lower manhattan inside the homeland security barriers so I
    > can't promise 99.999% up-time because the datacenter isn't allowed
    > to have diesel generators

WHAT?

Care to explain that? I never heard of the US having an internal border within new york to keep the terrorists out (not that it makes sense, given that the definition of a terrorist also includes totally law adhering US citizens).

Just curious interest here. Sessm the US finally learned from Hitler how to erect a police state? Do they REALLY have a whole innner city in a security perimeter?

3. Sorry I missed this but I was looking for a free bump anyway :)

Yes, there are borders & perimeters all over. You just learn to deal with it. Keeping a massive tank of fuel directly next to the NYSE is truly somewhat of a potential at least vulnerability...

It's like a checkpoint - if you want to be in certain areas you will need to prove that you mean no harm... I don't know how else to explain it. You don't need permission to drive past the gates at the NYSE, you just need to open your trunk (boot to you :)) and let a dog sniff the car then you are on your way...

It's only certain areas... no biggie...

4. Bumping a bit of an old thread - but I'm about to have 5-6 U's open up at 32 AofA as well as a whole half rack open up in NJ close to but not exactly colo to NASDAQ and NYSE.

NJ firm had a whole rack of old-ish servers they are consolidating as well as doing some virtualization.

32 AofA (that's 32 Avenue of the Americas) is just a virtualization project that pushed a bunch of 2 or 3 U servers down to two single 3U chassis so space opened up.

I essentially pass on my costs if you want to put your own HW in there. If you want a VM or something it's really cheap.