Frosty's Discretionary Journal

Discussion in 'Journals' started by frostengine, Jan 15, 2008.

1. Trade for tomorrow is to buy OMCL

#31     Feb 7, 2008
  2. Due to the very large gap this morning on OMCL, I have not taken a position. Will wait until around close today or until the price fills part of the gap..

#32     Feb 8, 2008
  3. Just closed OXPS due to the fact friday it closed above its previous days high. Did not get much of a gain at ALL from this one...

Closed out OXPS for $24.85

Gain: +1.01%

Total Gain Since Starting Journal: +24.32%
    Return on Trading Equity so far: +6.08%
    6 winning trades 1 losing trade

#33     Feb 11, 2008
  4. rickty

rickty

frost,

What's your initial universe of stocks and how do you screen them to get your picks?

#34     Feb 11, 2008
  5. hey frost. i was wondering if you used any broker hosted stop losses on these trades?

#35     Feb 11, 2008
  6. My initial universe of stocks is any stock where the 90 day average volume > 500,000 and close > 5

To screen them to get my picks I filter them with several indicators to get the right setup i'm looking for.

#36     Feb 11, 2008
  7. Nope, I do not use ANY broker hosted stop losses for these trades.

#37     Feb 11, 2008
  8. Since it has now been 1 month since starting this journal. Here are the results for the first month for better record keeping:

Total Gain Since Starting Journal: +24.32%
    Return on Trading Equity so far (ROI): +6.08%
    6 winning trades 1 losing trade

Change in the S&P during this time: -2.2%

No currently open positions.

#38     Feb 18, 2008
  9. The strategy has been mostly dead lately. Not enough signals. I am now going to add to this strategy the short version of it as well. For now I will continue to keep the 4 position limit.

Also, in a rare move I decided to enter a short position before close today instead of at open tomorrow as generally would be the case:

ifsia short $17.51

#39     Feb 21, 2008
  10. IFSIA sold off a few percent to open this morning. So, I went ahead and unloaded my position. This goes against most of my rules, but was a gut feeling. Did not want to leave profits sitting on the table if the market rebounds some today. I have noticed my last several trades I let fear take me out and not my rules. I need to try and correct that. Luckily it hasn't started affecting my bottomline. Infact I think getting out on my gut feelings has saved me on a few of these trades. However, what is the point of rules if you do not follow them?

Covered IFSIA at: 17.09
    Gain +2.4%

Total Gain Since Starting Journal: +26.72%
    Return on Trading Equity so far (ROI): +6.68%
    7 winning trades 1 losing trade

#40     Feb 22, 2008