Frosty's auto-trading bot goes live with REAL money

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by frostengine, Nov 14, 2006.

1. gkishot

gkishot

It depends. If you trade to pay your bills then yes I would.
    If you trade to build your wealth then I would not.

#31     Nov 16, 2006
  2. If plan B is more comfortable for you to trade then you can always increase size to make more money. The key to long term sucess is being able to live with your system for as long as it continues to make money.

#32     Nov 16, 2006
  3. Im curious what you are getting all these expectancy / drawback / equity curves out of? are you using a 3rd party program that does backtesting and has a fairly powerful language? i vaguely remember seeing a screenshot of metatrader 4 that did that. maybe im wrong.

#33     Nov 16, 2006
  4. walter,

I am using a program I custom built for backtesting and automating my trading.

#34     Nov 16, 2006
  5. i have so much work to do to catch up

#35     Nov 16, 2006
  6. frost,

It is suggested on another thread that volume as compared to the average volume for the time of day in the first part of the session can be used as an indication of the type of day (trending, range bound etc). Perhaps 5 or 10 min bars might be appropriate for this.

See the post by EdgeHunter

http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=78980&perpage=6&pagenumber=15

#36     Nov 16, 2006
  7. sulli

sulli

I don't know about you, but I would be more comfortable with a 50% reduction in drawdown and the higher expectancy.

You can make up that 30% reduction in profit through a position sizing scheme (the aforementioned conditions would allow you to be a bit more aggressive with your account, if you choose). Your minimum account funding requirement would be smaller.

#37     Nov 17, 2006
  8. How long did it take you to build your program,please?Also which language did you choose and why?I believe IB supports VBA, Java and C++?

#38     Nov 17, 2006
  9. Thanks for all the great input, keep the ideas flowing. It is helping a lot.

Johnny,

As for as how long it took to build my program. If I was simply trying to build a program capable of back testing and automating such as it does now, and not trying to make it more user friendly for possibly giving it out to the public in the future. Then it would have only taken about a month or so for me to code it. I am thinking of giving the actual program out to the public at some point in the near future so I did a lot of work on userability which added significant time to the development. At my day job however I am a lead programmer for a company here in town so my results may not be typical. If you do not have any programming experience I would say don't even think about it yet.... you will have a LONG time of learning in front of you. However if you do have a fair amount of experience, there is nothing in designing a automating system or backtesting system that is "that" complicated.

This iteration of my program is done in java. My previous iteration from last year was c++. I chose to rewrite in java for a few reasons. None of them really that important. Either language would be just fine. The language is not that important if your trying to make a program such as this... what is imortant is that you have plenty of experience in whichever language you chose.

#39     Nov 17, 2006
  10. Thanks

#40     Nov 17, 2006