Front Ends for IB?

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by froggie, May 9, 2005.

1. Buttontrader is actually quite simple to use. You can get as complicated as you like, tho. I am a recent convert and a big fan. Has worked flawlessly alongside Quotetracker.

#11     May 23, 2005
  2. phlsteen

phlsteen

I vote enthusiastically for Zero Line Trader.

I'm a huge believer in low overhead (read cheap), and at 60 bucks a year, compared to Ninja at 50 per month, I'll be a ZLT user for a long time to come.

Ninja is good, and support is good - but ZLT is just as good in every respect.

#12     May 23, 2005
  3. I always liked www.futures-trader.net. Autotrader is free still I think -- don't remember the url offhand. All of them may or may not have trouble with TT down the road. Since Ninja is probably the most visible I'd guess they would see the lawyers at their door first.

An obvious question is have you tried the IB booktrader to see if it meets your needs? Until you get somewhat fancy it is a good first step...since no front end ever made an unprofitable trader profitable. :)

#13     May 23, 2005
  4. If IB could make a few changes in Booktrader the other front ends would be in trouble, I think. A front end wont make you profitable but it can save you a lot of money if your mistake prone like me.

#14     May 23, 2005
  5. IBsoft

IBsoft Interactive Brokers

Any concrete suggestions?

#15     May 23, 2005
  6. I've been using Ninjatrader for about 9 months and love it. You can't beat the customer service they provide.

#16     May 24, 2005
  7. IBSoft,
    What is IB's plan for BookTrader in the light of TT's MDTrader patent?

How long will IB continue to offer BookTrader?

I appreciate IB's open API approach. That's why we are having various trading frontends.
    It is obvious BookTrader and other TWS frontens all have their own implementations of DOME/Super DOME and they operate differently in some aspects.

But it seems a bogus patent could its way in this world.

Kind of worried that all the choices of the frontends would disappear one day. We don't like the uncertainty, just as the market don't.

#17     May 24, 2005
  8. I use autotrader http://autotrader1.home.comcast.net/

It would be great if IB could make a front end that has as good a layout and is as easy to use and functional. Book Trader is a step in the right direction but it doesn't look as straightforward as using autotrader.

I also think over here in the UK, a lot of potential customers who are currently using spread bet companies would change to IB if the trading platform was improved. I had a struggle until I found the other front ends. Those that are a bit technophobic would probably have more of a problem.

#18     May 24, 2005
  9. Absolutely. First, as I pmmed you awhile back change the sell side color to red and buy side to green like almost all other programs. Second, fix it so you can adjust both sides of a bracket order. Almost nobody uses a bracket order with identical offsets. Third. Add a button that would close the trade immediately and cancel all open orders. That would do everything that I need.

#19     May 24, 2005
  10. earlybird

earlybird

Why would IB need a frontend?
    They always had a frontend that evolved over the years and brought IB many satisfied customers.

The recent loss of focus due to the charting and other gee-whiz stuff is worrisome, without even mentioning the catering to an odd-dozen of socalled 'API' outfitties.

IB, stick to what is the core of your business. An example of the past is Quote.com, now swallowed up by lycos, albeit not 100% identical with IB's business. Quote.com had a good thing going 5 or 6 years ago with an excellent reputation for its software SDK/API. Till they started to put bells and whistles on and turning it into a 'do everything gismo' called 'Live Charts', top heavy, totally useless for their bread and butter quote distribution business. Lots of complaints and defections for all the years ever since. Simply do an ET search if you want to know more.

IB, you are great. Make sure you stick to essentials for traders. All the rest can be bought at many places. Shake off the hungry crowd continuously crying for cheapies.

#20     May 24, 2005