From novice to riskarb...

Discussion in 'Options' started by candletrader, Apr 13, 2004.

1. I have a similar feeling... I feel that Cottle is the stage of understanding I would love to ultimately achieve, and I am seeking the best route to build myself up so I can read Cottle and not find it tough-going...

#11     Apr 13, 2004
  2. Yes, gamma scalping and delta-hedging are the same thing...

#12     Apr 13, 2004
  3. I haven't read either in years, but that may be the case. They're certainly similar in difficulty.

McMillan, or the Williams book: Fundamentals of Options Market
    by Michael Williams

#13     Apr 13, 2004

4. Cool! Thank you...

I will get McMillan (as opposed to Natenberg)... hopefully this will arm me to handle Cottle (or will it!?)

#14     Apr 13, 2004
  5. That's a tough one. For the first few years I traded options I kept both as constant references. In fact, I still keep them handy. So I'd be hesitant to pick one over the other. However, Natenberg is more applicable to the style of trading that I have migrated towards.

But what I typically tell people first starting out with options is to begin with McMillan to get a firm grounding in the nuts and bolts of trading options and the various strategies, and then to move on to Natenberg to get a deeper understanding of the Greeks and volatility trading.

#15     Apr 13, 2004
  6. Good idea, McMillan is sound and lighter than either Cotthle or Nate.

McMillan(or Hull)> Natenberg> Cottle> James> ... maths?

Anyway, all in due time. Get into a pattern of daily reading and you'll pound through this stuff in no-time at all.

riskarb

#16     Apr 13, 2004
  7. Good idea, McMillan is sound and lighter than either Cottle or Nate.

McMillan(or Hull)> Natenberg> Cottle> James> ... maths?

Anyway, all in due time. Get into a pattern of daily reading and you'll pound through this stuff in no-time at all.

riskarb

#17     Apr 13, 2004
  8. Thank you both Hello_Dollars and riskarb for your advice, which is much appreciated...

#18     Apr 13, 2004
  9. the absolutely WORST trading book ever written is

'the complete option player" by trester.

this thick book came shrink wrapped at borders, peaking my curiosity---i took the bait and purchased it. stay away from this one !

surfer :)

#19     Apr 13, 2004
  10. You're welcome, glad to help. Options math is algebraic until you get deeply into modeling/time series/stochastic process. Is it necessary to solve PDEs?(No). People always assume it's for maths-crowd. Natenberg and Cottle are sufficient to make a market.

The process can stop once you've got a sound understanding of the arbitrage. If you get into the maths, look into closed-form/StochVol models.

riskarb

#20     Apr 13, 2004