From novice to riskarb...

Discussion in 'Options' started by candletrader, Apr 13, 2004.

1. Maverick74

Maverick74

Well, the way I look at it Nitro is that first you need to be able to trade the underlying. Then options gives you an extra edge that reduces your risk variance. See look, I use to trade the underlying intraday right and I did pretty well. I've also done a little bit of longer term trading on the underlying, but I had no margin for error. I was either right or I was wrong. Kind of like flipping a coin right. You bet heads or tails, heads you win, tails you lose. There is no in between.

But with options, you can get a heads and win, you can get a tails and win and you can even have an equal number of heads and tails and win. That is the edge my friend. It's not leverage. Hell, if you want leverage you can go to single stock futures. Options increase your risk variance and that is huge for a trader. Even a slight increase in your risk variance can make the difference between a trader that is flat for the year vs making a million dollars.

But here is the catch 22. If you can't trade the underlying and you are trading options and lets say you have tons of edge. What does that edge really amount to? A nickel? A dime? I mean seriously quantify it. Now if you are a bad trader, a nickel or a dime is not going to save you. In fact it could kill you. That's the difference. It takes some guys so long to figure this out. I kind of figured it out intuitively.

Now if your Metooxx and you are doing 500 trades a day. Then a nickel here and a dime there add up to something. But in those cases you are only risking a nickel or dime. OK, I've rambled long enough. That's my two cents.

#91     Apr 14, 2004
  2. Absolutely... and I think the majority would agree with your view. For a pure directional bet, nothing beats simply trading the underlying.

It's counterproductive to add additional decision-modalities; as well as adding nonlinear parms, convexity(concavity) of long(short)gamma... Multi-leg positions which often invert greek values(bi/trimodailty) which adds an order of mag. in complexity when a simple long/short position in the underlying is in order.

For the most part, options should be limited to:

1) speculating on volatility(non-directional)
    2) trading a +expectation
    3) gamma-trading

None of which can be done with the underlying.

#92     Apr 14, 2004
    gmal likes this.
  3. nitro

nitro

I agree 100%, unless you scalp them of course, but that is beyond 99% of the people on this planet.

nitro

#93     Apr 14, 2004
  4. SumJurk

SumJurk

Damn...I'm impressed riskarb...lol

#94     Apr 15, 2004
  5. Maverick74

Maverick74

He pulled all that out of page 6 in Baird's book. No big deal. LOL. :D

#95     Apr 15, 2004
  6. HAHAHAHAHA (thumbing thru my dog-eared copy of Baird)... gotcha, it's page 1156.

#96     Apr 15, 2004
  7. Exactly why MMs shouldn't be sheet-monkeys, the model-output only serves to hasten their demise. Buy 50%vol all day long, fire-sale! The model stated Fv is a whopping 54%vol, woo-hoo! Comes next week and your combo is 55%vol bid and you're STILL staring at a loss -- unless you're flat gamma.

If the MMs don't go home flat(gamma) it's simply a Texas Hedge.

#97     Apr 15, 2004
  8. Well, said riskarb...

#98     Apr 15, 2004