Friends and family giving you shit about trading..

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by Matt24SPFL, Aug 29, 2007.

1. Ha ha. That was what I did. I just packed up, hauled my ass up here to Montreal and let it be that. One of the best decisions I made for a long time. Now only there isn't such a thing as winter here.

#31     Aug 29, 2007
  2. mde2004

mde2004

You need help with your anger issues and interaction skills.

#32     Aug 29, 2007
  3. Yes I do. Let's hear it..

#33     Aug 29, 2007
  4. Ditch the job and get out of the swamp.

[​IMG]

#34     Aug 29, 2007
  5. j1900q

j1900q

We all get the same crap. Thank God my wife got over it years ago. Hey lets face it, if everybody liked what we did, it might take the fun out of it. as it is we always have something to prove. The main thing is, to get off the emotional roller coaster and run your trading business.
    Keith

#35     Aug 29, 2007
  6. nice photo shop of some stranger's face on my body...

#36     Aug 29, 2007
  7. Sanjuro

Sanjuro

Make sure you have a backup plan because anything is possible just like the market.

#37     Aug 29, 2007
  8. Matt I fortunate in that I have alot of support from my wife and my family. Some of my friends are skeptical. I have struggled to be consistent in the 2 years I have been at this endeavor called day trading. Why, because I have not followed my plan consistently.

Remember this important fact, day trading is the most challenging mental game you will ever play. You have to have your mind clear and your belief in yourself greatest at ever trade and every trading day.

Do you treat trading as a business? Do you have a written business plan? If you do have you sat down with family and friends and gone through the plan with them. Can you sell the plan to them and get them on board. Do you have stats to back up your plan showing that it "should" work. We never know what the market will bring. Remember in the end it is most important that you believe fully in the plan and your abilities, but support sure goes along way when we start an new challenge, day trading sure is one for sure.

Back to the mental aspect. I believe strongly in subconscious programming of the mind, NLP, book on trading psychology. I have received alot of benefit from listening to likes of Anthony Robbins, Marshall Sylver, reading Mark Douglas and Brett Steenbarger's books., especially his latest book. I really like the psychology videos Todd Martin aka the tradingauthority dot com gives to ppl. who register for his site. He used to work for Anthony Robbins. AustinP on his free site coiledmarkets dot com has a couple of really good videos on the mental challenges he has gone through to get to where he is at. I can't recall the specific recording dates, maybe he can chime in and point you to the specific dates. BTW I am not affiliated with any of the above, just trying to provide you some assistance. :cool:

#38     Aug 29, 2007
  9. Matt24SPFL, I know what you mean when others say it's too dangerous to trade. It's like telling someone that has a job that it's too dangerous to work for someone because they are going to get killed driving to work.

Tuning out negative comments from people that are close to you is the hardest thing to do, just try to turn the negative into positive progress.

#39     Aug 29, 2007
  10. I disagree, though it can take time to find one's niche.

There's a lot of room for debate.

My main argument is if you started from scratch w/ a great screen trader and worked w/ him for a short period of time you could create similar results (speaking from experience).

To be a great brain surgeon it's gonna take a lot more then a year and have great consequences if your only successful 50% of the time. Wide stops generally don't go over well w/ patients' families.

I won't even bring up a pro sports argument.

** There is a lot to be said for pay based on performance though.

#40     Aug 29, 2007