Friday's rally - short covering?

Discussion in 'Risk Management' started by themickey, Mar 14, 2020.

1. FriskyCat

FriskyCat

SPY/ES back to 3050 area, then back down.

#21     Mar 14, 2020
  2. .sigma

.sigma

Lets assume it is indeed short covering.

My question would be, now that you know this.. how can and will you use this information for your trading approach to this up coming week?

#22     Mar 15, 2020
    jys78 likes this.
  3. .sigma

.sigma

How does Paulsons quote help us retail traders? Just curious.

And how was Fridays price action "free money"? Although yes $SPY did fill that March 12 gap down, but it occurred within a 30 min frame, so unless you're literally looking for intra-day movements and scalp stuff like this, but even then I can't see how this was free money?

Cheers!

#23     Mar 15, 2020
  4. JamesJ

JamesJ

We could go Limit down in the future market right after open today.

Otc cfd Provider ig prices the Dow at 21930, which would be Limit down in Futures (-5.4% from Friday close).

#24     Mar 15, 2020
    .sigma likes this.
  5. FriskyCat

FriskyCat

Limit down to Limit Up to Limit down...used to be reserved for thinly traded commodity markets.

#25     Mar 15, 2020
    .sigma likes this.
  6. themickey

themickey

It was very coincidental the last 15 minutes of Friday trading I was watching live while on the ASX, CBA Bank prices were hurtling upward and later noticed many stocks had leapt also. What was amazing was the huge relentless climbing of prices and it had me scratching my head for its reason, as volume was also huge.
    I'm currently holding short on a couple of Inverse ETF's, it feels kind of reassuring to know it was probably short covering going into the weekend, however it was very dramatic if that's all it turns out to be. I'm going to go long on a Tech ETF Monday morning open, while maintaining my short ETF's, end of day re evaluate prior to EOD and close out either my long or the shorts.
    Personally, I'm bearish longer term but this bounce may last a few days so will just follow whichever direction it goes.
    Looking back over 20 years of charts, I could not see one instance where on a Friday, the market turned upward from a correction into a new trend other than dead cat bounces.

#26     Mar 15, 2020
    .sigma likes this.
  7. .sigma

.sigma

So basically knowing Fridays up move at the EOD was short sellers taking profits reassures you psychologically, and also benefits you as you are short inverse ETF's?

#27     Mar 15, 2020
  8. themickey

themickey

It adds to my knowledge, it's the first time it dawned on me.
    Was never physically aware before how a strong counter rally out of blue sky could possible be shorts liquidating their positions, possibly the imminent weekend accentuating this.
    Of course it's only a theory but seems likely.
    I suppose the main benefit I gain is to expect this sort thing again as I must confess I was a bit naive and caught by surprise.
    Usually I think of fast reversals as just opportunistic contrarian plays, traders playing the market, like day traders snatching quick short term opportunities, but late Friday rally??? I was blown away by it and the severity - couldn't think of a reason at the time. :)
    Some may say what happened on Friday was a bottom formation - like real bottom.
    No, I don't buy into that for technical reasons.

#28     Mar 15, 2020
    .sigma and Cuddles like this.