Fresh Install XP (Advice Needed)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by smalltrader35, May 12, 2009.

1. Bob111

Bob111

yep..it either cd or cd rom

#11     May 12, 2009
  2. I suppose the read head on the optic drive could be getting hung up at the same point in the install. The head moves on a track(?).. maybe there's a crack or a burr... ??

Who knows? Keep trying possibles until you find it.

#12     May 12, 2009
  3. Bob111

Bob111

i would try to copy this cd on another PC,using good quality CD-R and writer.
    or replace CD-rom. or buy one from staples, put it in,install XP -then return it :D

#13     May 12, 2009
  4. Your problem is probably a bad CD drive or a bad or dirty CD. I have had both cause the exact problem you described.

Make sure that the CD is not smudged or scratched or has some other defect. Otherwise, if you have access to another CD drive, swap it over to this system and try the install process again.

Echo

#14     May 12, 2009
  5. limau2

limau2

i thought every original cd has a limit of installed copies. Some 3x, some 7x depending on versions.

If you upgrade the hardware, need to call Microsoft assistance. It is the 1st procedure before erasing any OS and reinstalled...

#15     May 12, 2009
  6. That's not necessarily correct. If you have an OEM disk from Dell it will work on any Dell as many times as you want.

#16     May 12, 2009
  7. #17     May 12, 2009
  8. The way it's supposed to work...

1. On a retail copy of XP, you can move it from one machine to another as often as you wish... but used only on one at a time.

2. On an OEM copy.. it's supposedly "tied" to the first mobo it's installed upon.

3. In Dell's case during OS installation, it checks to see if there is a Dell BIOS... and if so and the disk is not out of date, XP will install. (Each Dell has a paid license, so it doesn't matter which Dell OEM XP disk is used for the install... again, so long as it's not out of date.)

#18     May 12, 2009
  9. chartie

chartie

How do you know whether or not it's out of date?

Thanks

#19     May 13, 2009
  10. If the disk year is too far away from your build date, it may not have the proper files or versions of files for XP to install on your system.

Trying to install XP where the disk and hardware are too distant from each other probably won't do any harm... you'll just get a BSOD with an error code about "hardware". Then, you'll have to find a disk which is closer to your build date. That being said, I have been surprised that a disk did in fact install when I was prepared for it not to.

#20     May 13, 2009